SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

multiple guide data?

Anyone have an educated guess on how far away we are from being able to using the same guide for multiple sources? Currently you have to grab the next city over's guide if you are installing a source that needs different guide data.

I live in Ellicot City (MD) and I have my 3 tuners (via a STB) using the guide for Ellicott city, then I must use the guide for Essex (the next city over) for my HDHR. While this works for the most part, there are some channels and schedules that are different.

I was just wondering if this is in theworks for the next release, I know Sage Knows this is a problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

By the deafening silence I take it there is no plan (that anyone knows about) of implementing a solution where you can create multiple guides for the same city?

So in my case I would have a guide for Elicott City for use with my STBs and a seperate guide for my HDHR ALSO for Elicott City. Kinda a guide1a and a guide1b type of setup.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 View Post
By the deafening silence I take it there is no plan (that anyone knows about) of implementing a solution where you can create multiple guides for the same city?
There is no plan that has been publicly announced by Sage to implement that solution. Sage employees may be working on a solution, but none has been announced.

Quote:
I live in Ellicot City (MD) and I have my 3 tuners (via a STB) using the guide for Ellicott city, then I must use the guide for Essex (the next city over) for my HDHR. While this works for the most part, there are some channels and schedules that are different.
looking at the epg sources available for 21042, there are a lot of options. For you HDHR, all you need is an source with the correct callsigns and schedule. What channel number it is doesn't really matter since you have to remap anyways. You can use any source that meets those criteria. You can use even DIsh or DirecTV if the callsigns match. And if you only got your locals via QAM and no other digital channels (or didn't care about them), you could even use an OTA lineup.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Ke6
I thought there was no info on this feature but I figured it was worth asking.

My zip is 21075 (Ellicot City, MD) and there are some I can use, but my wife is saying that some of the QAM channels are showing the wrong shows at the wrong times. For instance I have TWO fox channels on the HDHR's EPG alone, one is wrong sometimes the other is never wrong.

I am mostly thinking about if I get Dish with 4 recievers. I would want to do a R5000hd thing on one of them (Just to start with and converting the other three as money becomes available). I would have 1 tuner with all 200 channels including HD, and three with just the SD channels. I can imagine the issues if The non-r5000 tuners had a different lineup than the ones that had been converted. Then I could add HD antenas on my HDHR and add that as two MORE HD tuners for just the OTA channels, which means I would need yet a THIRD EPG.

Already the wife refuses to record HD channels because they are "always wrong" (wich is not the case, only two of the channels are sometimes wrong).
Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

unfortunately finding the extra EPGs is trial-and-error. What I did was to use zap2it.com and brought up all the different EPGs that they offer for my area. then, I was able to scan through a couple EPGs to see it the shows/times matched what I needed.

I run 3 EPGs for my 3 different types of tuners, so I know what you are going through.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Someone complains about this once a week. It's really strange that they don't have some workaround. Using the guide data from another area does not really work because it only can work if you find another area with all the channels that you have. Most people who use this method just seem happy to do without the few channels they can't get. Despite the fact that people have been asking to have this fixed for years, Sage will not respond and even acknowledge the problem.

The best way to get this fixed is to do what I'm doing here, which is to point out that all the competition (BTV, MythTV, MCE) can do it. If you point this out every time you see someone complain about this, maybe they will eventually fix it.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Sage Expert

You'd really have to conduct a POLL to find out how many users believe this needs to be changed.
How many are willing to PAY for change, since new-money is what usually drives change, not reserved money for customer service.

For whatever reason, SageTV links their EPG Lineup and Device Tuning-space requirements causing users to utilize a neighboring city lineup when adding additional devices that require differing tuning-space requirements (Analog vs STB vs SAT vs ATSC vs QAM vs different manufacturer tuning technique)

Smart users can ADD channels to their adopted lineups to get all their clear-cast channels and EPG data. I have six channels not included in my local lineup that I added just fine.

Is it a pain? Yeah.
Would I like it to be fixed? Depends on what 'fixed' means, but sure.

Am I willing to pay for it, maybe forcing every other SageTV user to also pay for it in the next upgrade whether they wanted it or not?
I don't like pain, or the threat of pain. It's that simple. Do I really believe MeInMaui is really stuck on some small little island in the middle of the Pacific (where his avatar before this one made him look like he didn't mind putting others in pain) I'm not ready to take that chance.

Maybe we can ask SageTV to give us a cost estimate. When I used to be a head muckymuck for a Japanese wireless coder company they'd ask me to contact my 'friends' in Bangalore for estimates. Maybe SageTV has 'friends', too.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conejo View Post
Do I really believe MeInMaui is really stuck on some small little island in the middle of the Pacific (where his avatar before this one made him look like he didn't mind putting others in pain) I'm not ready to take that chance.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here, but it made me laugh. Thanks.

BTW, my previous avatar was Erwin Schödinger. The only creatures he might (or might not) have caused pain to are cats.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_smith1969 View Post
Anyone have an educated guess on how far away we are from being able to using the same guide for multiple sources? Currently you have to grab the next city over's guide if you are installing a source that needs different guide data.

Pat,
You might want to look at my post here that mentions how I used "Station Remapping" in my setup with my HD tuner.

Whether that's easier for you than using a nearby lineup I'm not sure.

--John