SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Sage User

Transitioning from BeyondTV...

The Sage HD extender has persuaded me that now is the time to dump BTV and move over to Sage. I was hoping to get some insight from others who have made the change on what I should be preparing myself for in the way of differences because I've started to get nervous about the change based on a just a little research and am now wondering what the whole can of worms has in store for me. For instance, I was reading a thread about transcoding for the Zune and my reaction was, "You have got to be kidding." This is a simple setup in the BTV web interface. In Sage you have to write command lines?! Placeshifter - they charge you for the what is essentially the BTV webadministrator?

I was going to run the trial on the same machine with BTV to get a feel for the differences. Are there any issues with running these two together if there are no tuner conflicts?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimz06 View Post
The Sage HD extender has persuaded me that now is the time to dump BTV and move over to Sage. I was hoping to get some insight from others who have made the change on what I should be preparing myself for in the way of differences because I've started to get nervous about the change based on a just a little research and am now wondering what the whole can of worms has in store for me. For instance, I was reading a thread about transcoding for the Zune and my reaction was, "You have got to be kidding." This is a simple setup in the BTV web interface. In Sage you have to write command lines?! Placeshifter - they charge you for the what is essentially the BTV webadministrator?

I was going to run the trial on the same machine with BTV to get a feel for the differences. Are there any issues with running these two together if there are no tuner conflicts?
You don't need a placeshifter license unless your going to run on another computer or a mvp. For you to have webadmin functionality you can download Nielm's addon: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...?do=file&id=26

There are a few differences from BTV and Sage which I like BTV better but I'm loving sage.

SAGE tell me if I'm wrong but The back to back recordings work better in B BTV is more intelligent, If there is a tuner open then it records a back to back show on the same channel on another tuner if avail. If not then it removes the padding and records on the same tuner. On sage you have the option recording a back to back show with removed padding on the same tuner or not but not smart enough it there is another tuner avail to just use that and keep the padding.

For commercial skip you need an addon.

I love the sageMC add on. Makes it look better and gives more functionality.

Download the trial. There is lot's to learn but I love it. I was with BTV since july 2003 and just converted end of 2007.

Real simple. If you love btv and just to record shows STAY WITH BTV.

If you want more functionality and love to tinker then get sage.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:30 AM
SageTVaholic

EDIT: I see QueOnda beat me to the punch. I addressed some of the same points below, but will leave this post just in case its helpful...
Quote:
The Sage HD extender has persuaded me that now is the time to dump BTV and move over to Sage. I was hoping to get some insight from others who have made the change on what I should be preparing myself for in the way of differences because I've started to get nervous about the change based on a just a little research and am now wondering what the whole can of worms has in store for me.
I own BeyondTV, Beyond Media and SageTV and am currently using SageTV to run my HTPC. It's not as bad as you might think. It IS more difficult to setup SageTV mostly because there are several things you have to set up manually (user-developed add-ons) that are installed by default by BeyondTV such as:
  • Commercial Skip - not a big deal. Matter of fact I have posted a step-by-step on how to set up commercial skipping on my blog if you are interested. Setting Commercial Skip takes approximately 5 minutes to set up.
  • Auto Compression - this can be automatic, but can also be configured through an add-on
  • Transcoding to iPod, Zune, a DVD etc. - the best way to do this is to use the SageMC add-on and then set up Sage Video Tools
  • Web Admin - this is a free addon developed by a very talented user. You have to set this up manually, but it can do more than the BTV webadmin. Easy to set up and a very powerful add-on.
A few things I miss from BTV:
  • Moving a file from one tv recording folder to another isn't as easy in SageTV since it stores all of the metadata in a single file: the wiz.bin file. It's also not as easy to import an externally recorded show into SageTV. There is a fairly easy way to import BTV shows though which I outline how-to HERE
  • Kind of miss the above things being built-in. Not a big deal in the long run.
Quote:
For instance, I was reading a thread about transcoding for the Zune and my reaction was, "You have got to be kidding." This is a simple setup in the BTV web interface. In Sage you have to write command lines?!
That post was for a person using a Mac. If you're using Windows you can use the Sage Video Tools add-on I mentioned above to do this fairly easily.

Quote:
Placeshifter - they charge you for the what is essentially the BTV webadministrator?
No. Webadmin in BTV can be compared with Nielm's Web User Interface which I mentioned above. Again, this add-on is more powerful than BTV's webadmin by a long shot although BTV users will note there isn't a way to change SageTV settings in the web interface like there is in BTV's webadmin. This isn't a big deal since all the settings are in the SageTV 10-foot interface so you don't have to open up a browser just to change a setting.
Speaking of Placeshifter, this is a for-fee add-on that lets you run SageTV over the internet. It runs almost exactly like the SageTV you see on your HTPC so you can watch shows, movies, listen to music, change settings etc from your laptop at work or hotel for instance. It's totally different from the webadmin.

Quote:
The one thing to be careful with is to be sure you completely close BTV before running SageTV. And then when going from SageTV to BTV, be sure and completely close SageTV (and SageTV Service if running as service) before opening up BeyondTV.

SageTV is more configurable and has MANY more options so it does take a lot more time to get set up just right. I think you'll like what you find though. There are way more people on the SageTV forums to help you along so use the forums as you have questions.

One last recommendation. Check out SageMC once you get SageTV installed. SageMC is a user-made replacement menu interface that makes SageTV even better. Read more on it on my blog post here

You might also be interested in this thread

Last edited by Brent; 02-24-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I will second reading Brents Blog on the HD Extender...I did not know Sage existed until I read his blog...since then I have ditched VMC, bought SageTv, and am anxiously waiting to buy 3 HD Extenders. Great product and great blog!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Sage User

Thanks guys for some great information. Doesn't look that there's too much to be concerned about. It's a bit disappointing to see that Sage suffers from the same issue of lack of full integration of features that BeyondTV does, just different features. Getting the most out of these programs falls into the realm of the hobbyist, which I suppose I am, but at times I find myself wishing I wasn't.

SageTV7, Windows 7, Comcast, HDHR Prime(SageDCT), HD300
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's a bit disappointing to see that Sage suffers from the same issue of lack of full integration of features that BeyondTV does, just different features. Getting the most out of these programs falls into the realm of the hobbyist, which I suppose I am, but at times I find myself wishing I wasn't.
I just want to point out the obvious here. SageTV does NOT suffer from the same issue of "lack of full integration of features that BeyondTV does."
I only say this because with BeyondTV you don't have the flexibility to add on features with plugins like you do with SageTV. Key difference is you can add almost anything to SageTV and "integrate" it into a single user interface.

I understand your point of wishing it was all "built-in" to the standard interface, but you have to remember it's that ability to add plugins that makes SageTV so powerful in the first place. The only out-of-the-box plug-it-in experience you'll find is a Tivo or Cable/Satellite Box DVR and I think you can see the obvious limitations of those solutions. Don't worry about the work of a hobbyist - it's not as bad as it sounds
Old 02-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I just want to point out the obvious here. SageTV does NOT suffer from the same issue of "lack of full integration of features that BeyondTV does."
I only say this because with BeyondTV you don't have the flexibility to add on features with plugins like you do with SageTV. Key difference is you can add almost anything to SageTV and "integrate" it into a single user interface.

I understand your point of wishing it was all "built-in" to the standard interface, but you have to remember it's that ability to add plugins that makes SageTV so powerful in the first place. The only out-of-the-box plug-it-in experience you'll find is a Tivo or Cable/Satellite Box DVR and I think you can see the obvious limitations of those solutions. Don't worry about the work of a hobbyist - it's not as bad as it sounds
potato potahto. It is either integrated or not. If it is not included in a base product, it is not integrated.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtrigger View Post
potato potahto. It is either integrated or not. If it is not included in a base product, it is not integrated.
I'm not here to redefine the word "integration" or turn your potato into french fries.

The word does take a very specific meaning for any of my fellow, former snapstream forum members however.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm not here to redefine the word "integration" or turn your potatoe into french fries.

The word does take a very specific meaning for any of my fellow, former snapstream forum members however.
It does, but you can't sit/preach both sides of the fence. BTV is integrated in ways that Sage isn't and vice versa
Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtrigger View Post
It does, but you can't sit/preach both sides of the fence. BTV is integrated in ways that Sage isn't and vice versa
okaay. I'll let my words stand as is though. Feel free to agree or disagree if you like

I'm done with the back-and-forth with you though bm.

Last edited by Brent; 02-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
okaay. I'll let my words stand as is though. Feel free to agree or disagree if you like
Ok - I completely disagree with your interpretation of integration as it relates to BTV
Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Edit: Question retracted

Last edited by MeInMaui; 02-28-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Sage Expert

Oh, please don't get this argument started in here....

Stu
Old 03-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Sage User

I see that commercial skip is a third party add-on to the Sage server. Is the functionality available in the Sage clients or the extender?

SageTV7, Windows 7, Comcast, HDHR Prime(SageDCT), HD300
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes-clients and all extenders.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.