SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:07 AM
SageTVaholic

How To Find a Time Warner Cable Firewire-capable Cable Box

I'm with Time Warner Cable and don't currently use a cablebox. I'm prepping for the new Hauppauge HD-PVR and would prefer to use firewire for channel changes (not actually getting the video, but just changing channels) if at all possible over IR blaster.

My question is this: How do I get a cablebox that allows me to do this? I've called my local TWC store and asked for a simple HD box (not PVR) that has firewire working for channel changing and they had no idea what I was talking about. I'm not surprised, but want to see if anyone has any suggestions for my quest. Am I asking the right question of the TWC folks?

Is there any hope here or will I be stuck with IR blaster?

I've begun browsing the firewire thread, but have a long way to go through it

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Sage Icon

I just walked into the local office and had them show me the boxes that had a firewire port on it and took one home. Hooked it up and the firewire port was active. It was a DCT-6200, IIRC.

Supposedly the firewire port is required to be available for use per an FCC reg.

Funny thing, none of the girls working there knew what a firewire port was. Only knew it by its IEEE-1394 markings on the back of the box.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Sage Icon

I will get a HD STB from TW also when the time comes, meaning when HD-PVR ships along with official SageTV support. I didn't know channel changing can be done through firewire, but good to know. So Brent, please keep thread updated if you figure the best way to do this. Thanks.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I will get a HD STB from TW also when the time comes, meaning when HD-PVR ships along with official SageTV support. I didn't know channel changing can be done through firewire, but good to know. So Brent, please keep thread updated if you figure the best way to do this. Thanks.
I'll definitely keep everyone posted on my progress (or lack thereof) on the firewire channel changing.
First I have to deal with Time Warner on the continual lower power & quality signal they are pushing through my cable line, getting a box that has firewire active (that should be fun) and then learning how to do this through firewire. If I get the time, I'll be the guinea pig for anyone else that hopes to use firewire channel changing with the HD-PVR.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Sage Fanatic

FWIW, if you're just looking to change channels, I have a dct6200 (non-dvr) and a dch6416 with time warner. I had them set up as firewire tuners since about October, but on January 9th, they threw the 5c switch on me. (How sad is it that I remember the date?) Anyway, channel changing never stopped working, just couldn't do anything with it. In other words, if I had sage tune a premium cable box channel, I could see the number on the box itself change to the correct one, but no picture. It was always lightning quick too, and never missed a beat, so I hope that we will be able to use it with the hddvr.

Unfortunately, I can't test anything for you, as I no longer have it set up because since then I have rebuilt my server.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
FWIW, if you're just looking to change channels, I have a dct6200 (non-dvr) and a dch6416 with time warner. I had them set up as firewire tuners since about October, but on January 9th, they threw the 5c switch on me. (How sad is it that I remember the date?) Anyway, channel changing never stopped working, just couldn't do anything with it. In other words, if I had sage tune a premium cable box channel, I could see the number on the box itself change to the correct one, but no picture. It was always lightning quick too, and never missed a beat, so I hope that we will be able to use it with the hddvr.

Unfortunately, I can't test anything for you, as I no longer have it set up because since then I have rebuilt my server.
Too bad its not set up any more, but its good to hear you had success with the channel changing. I know the IR blaster would work, but a faster, more accurate firewire channel changing method would be even better. My goal is to have this working before I get my HD-PVR.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Well I stopped by the TWC store last night and picked up a box. Conversation went like this:

Brent "I need an HD box (not dvr) that has a firewire port - active if at all possible.

Cable Guy "we don't have those"

Brent "You don't have boxes with firewire?"

Cable Guy "no we don't, we have component video though"

Brent "No, I know Time Warner has these as I've used them before (I lied to make him listen)"

Cable Guy "oh really, well what is this firelink thing anyway"

Brent "tell you what, how about you bring out a box or two and I'll show you"

Cable Guy walks back and brings out a cable box showing me the back of the unit "Is it one of these?"

Brent "yep there's two firewire ports right here - so are any of these active" I asked with a smile on my face knowing this guy won't even know the answer....

Cable Guy "well I don't really know. Will this box work for you?"

Brent "I'll take it home and if it doesn't you'll see me again "

So now I have the cable box and have made sure it works with LCD TV (it does) and it is setting on my SageTV server waiting for me to toil with the firewire stuff. The cable box is a SA 4250HDC. Not a lot of info out there on its capabilities, but I did find this thread saying they had firewire channel changing working on it...

I'm going to try to install the firewire driver and then figure out if there is a way to do channel changes with the thing. That's really the main thing I'm wanting to do here so I can use it with the HD-PVR when it gets here - any advice is welcome.

Last edited by Brent; 04-15-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Hi Brent,

This might help:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=157

Good Luck!

Aloha,
Mike
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Sage Icon

Brent, did they not have the DCT-6200?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Brent, did they not have the DCT-6200?
Who knows. This guy was pretty dim. If this one doesn't work I'll ask for it next time. Is the 6200 better?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Sage Icon

Brent, that conversation sounds almost exactly like the one I had when I went to get my HD box. Just swap out Cable Guy for Cable Girl and you have it

maya, If Brent is on a Scientific Atlantic system, and it appears so due to the 4250HD, then he can't get a Motorola DCT-6200, since Motorola and SA aren't compatible with each other.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Sage User

Was working

Brent and all -

I've had the SA3250 with firewire channel changing working for over a year now and it work flawlessly that is until they pushed out that abomination of a software update Mystro (?). The new update, from what I understand, was to create a unified firmware image that could running on any of their non-dvr devices but it is so slow and hard to read the menu system that I can't believe that any developer would actually take credit for this.

That being said Time Warner in their infinite stupidity felt that it was necessary to break channel changing via firewire and any other means. I started searching the web and it seems that it broke channel changing for Tivo users as well. I havent been able to find a work around for the issue and may just change providers if need be but I'll be damned if I'll give up my SageTv!
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Sage Icon

wow, that's terrible. Have you tried the IR Blaster method as a work around?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomeryt View Post
Brent and all -

I've had the SA3250 with firewire channel changing working for over a year now and it work flawlessly that is until they pushed out that abomination of a software update Mystro (?). The new update, from what I understand, was to create a unified firmware image....... That being said Time Warner in their infinite stupidity felt that it was necessary to break channel changing via firewire and any other means. I started searching the web and it seems that it broke channel changing for Tivo users as well. I havent been able to find a work around for the issue and may just change providers if need be but I'll be damned if I'll give up my SageTv!
Montgomeryt,
I've heard reports that channel changing does work on time warners SA4250 HDC boxes - even in my hometown of KC so I still have some hope.

However, I do need some help from someone who's been through this stuff before to help me make sure I'm doing this right. If you have the time and can help me out, please read this post I posted in the firewire thread. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Sage User

IR Blaster

Quote:
wow, that's terrible. Have you tried the IR Blaster method as a work around?
I don't have an IR Blaster but may have to move to that director or try a different STB. The firewire changing has worked so well didn't see a reason to invest in the IR blaster but now may be the time.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Sage Icon

Brent, any updates on your Firewire Channel Changing journey?

I just picked up a Motorola DCH3200, its not a DCH6200, but I'm hoping it is similar enough.

Let me know how goes it. I'm looking at that 1500 posts firewire thread, and it doesn't sound like fun to read through.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Brent, any updates on your Firewire Channel Changing journey?

I just picked up a Motorola DCH3200, its not a DCH6200, but I'm hoping it is similar enough.

Let me know how goes it. I'm looking at that 1500 posts firewire thread, and it doesn't sound like fun to read through.
Did you get this working? I do have a DCT6200, and had this working effectively, but about 8 months ago, the STB began to disappear from the Device Manager at random intervals, requiring a hard reset (i.e. unplugging the STB and rebooting) to get it to show up again. When it's there, channel changing works fine. I really only use it to capture channels that don't show up on the analog tuner cards...

BTW, Mike's link in post #8 of this thread is the easiest way to set this up, no need to pour through all 1500 posts...
Old 10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I got it working a few months ago followng Opus4's post somewhere on this forum. Right now, I hope I don't have to redo it because I have no idea what I did to get it working.

I'm only using it to change channels and using the HD-PVR to capture. How is the firewire capture working for you? I might want to get a second STB and try that method. As for you STB messing up, maybe exchange it for another one.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

I don't use it to capture over the firewire because Comcast 5c'd all the channels that I would want to capture anyway. I have an HDHR to capture local broadcast (i.e. unencrypted) QAM channels. This method is much more reliable and dual tuner.

Capturing from my STB is done via S-video into a PVR-150. The picture is about what you get with standard def, I just have to use the Fill aspect ratio.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know if the SA 4250HDC is working with firewire channel changing? I am going to be picking up a cable box from TWC in a few days and they use the 4250HDC in Rochester, NY.