SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Sage User

SageTV + Vista + UAC = No Go?

I can't seem to get SageTV to work properly under a standard Vista install (ie I didn't disable UAC). For example, one problem is during the setup wizard none of the channel changer plugins show up (I had another thread on this).

I solved this by runnig SageTV as an administrator, but this causes other problems. For example the program (Eventghost) I use to receive my remote control commands and then control the PC/apps can't use Sendmessage to communicate with SageTV. Also the Sendmessage program in the sage directory doesn't work as well when SageTV is running as an administrator.

I'd like to run SageTV normally. Has anyone done this, or is this not possible without turning off UAC?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

When I ran the server on vista32 (pre-WHS transition) I ran it as a service (local system account (you can try checking or unchecking the "interact with desktop" option too)) not as admin but I didn't run any plugins so I don't know if that is why it worked. *shrug*
Old 02-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Is this Vista64 or Vista32. My Vista32 was pretty clean it was only the 64bit that made me jump through hoops.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can run it without disabling UAC. But for setup there are cases, where you have to disable UAC.
In my case I was not able to setup my ATSC tuner (Vistaview DA-1N1-E) with UAC, because the channel scan simply didn't work. Here's basically what I did:
1. Install Sage tv
2. If you plan on using the tv service, do not start it yet (=keep it disabled)
3. Disable UAC
4. Install tuners (complete channel scan)
5. Enable UAC
6. Enable TV service (if you plan to use it)

The problem now is that, whenever there are channel changes that require a new scan that you'll likely have to redo this.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Sage User

I'm running Vista32.

Yeah, before I ran as Administrator, things worked ok, except I couldn't change the channel on my STB (using HD-PVR), which limits things

Rico, thanks for the steps, I may have to try disabling UAC during setup.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrnorth View Post
I'd like to run SageTV normally. Has anyone done this, or is this not possible without turning off UAC?
UAC should only be a problem for Sage it you don't relax the permissions for the install directory to allow users modify (or full) access. You shouldn't need to disable UAC during the install process to make it work.

1) install sage
2) configure service with an account with admin rights (probably not absolutely required, but why fight it
3) before starting the service, go to c:\program files\sage tv and right click on the folder, select the security tab and edit the acl to give the user group (or the user you login with) modify or full access to the folder and all subfolders
4) start service
5) start sage and configure