SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Sage User

6.2.2 freezing on MVP??

Correction - 6.6.2, not 6.2.2... I'm on the current version - Downloaded YESTERDAY..

Anyone else seeing this?

No matter what I play, my MVP freezes after about 5 minutes.. It will sit frozen indefinitely, but if I hit some buttons on the remote (Guide, for one) it will reboot and start over.. Never saw this before 6.2.2, but I haven't been keeping up with the betas recently..

I've tried a ripped DVD (TS_VIDEO directory), a video copied from a Microsoft MCE, a generic AVI I downloaded from the Internet, and also live TV. All of them freeze about 5 minutes into the show.

All of those videos work fine on the Sage itself or a placeshifter..

Any ideas? Anyone else still using an old MVP?

-Steve

Last edited by 172pilot; 08-08-2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Wrong version listed..
Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just upgraded to v6.6.2 yesterday, and have two MVPs. So far I have only used one MVP, but I have not seen any issues yet. I have only tried watching live and recorded TV, but have not seen any problems with at least one of my MVPs and v6.6.2.
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names
Old 08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

I've been using an MVP extensively and without problems since going to 6.2.1 plus the tssplitter.ax fix (which I believe is exactly equivalent to installing 6.2.2).
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Sage User

TRoubleshooting hints?

Well.. It's good to know there's hope at least.. The MVP SHOULD still work.. Anyone got any ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

Is there anything logged by the MVP someehere that may give me a hint? Is there a setting that I should check? Is there a video card / renderer setting / software that could affect how the MVP works?

What possibly could cause the same code to run differently on my hardware than on yours? That makes no sense to me..

I'm a 20+ year veteran hardcore geek, and I dont mind tinkering, which is what attracted me to Sage in the first place, but there are sometimes that the simple stuff should just work.. I was attracted to Tivo at first because of all of the ability to hack it.. add a hard drive, install a web server, etc.. but it is because I dont HAVE TO hack it that keep tivo.. I WANT Sage to replace my Tivos, but so far the WAF just isn't there...

Sorry for venting; I know Sage is a huge undertaking, and it's not easy to support limitless hardware, drivers, and whatever other processes people have running on the same box, and make a consistent outcome, but my setup is simple.. Dedicated Win2003 eerver box, on a dual-core Athlon 64 box, and there's never been a time that I thought it was completely stable on any version for me..

THanks for listening, and in advance for any hints you can give on troubleshooting.. I do really want this to work!!

-Steve
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Sage Icon

I would start by getting a current and or copy of mvp.bin into the MVP. You do this by removing power from the MVP for anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour. When the MVP boots up it will reload the mvp.bin from the Sage directory. Is this a wired or wireless MVP?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Sage User

All better now...

Thanks for the reply..

Looks like I'm "Eating crow" on this one.. Of course, after assuming that it was Sage, I read another thread where someone was having similar problems with freezing on his HD 100.. His problem turned out to be an IP conflict..

SO.. As a long-shot, I gave the MPV a new reservation, and the problem seems to have gone away.. Nothing took over the address that presumably was under conflict, which is strange, but I have to assume this was the problem, since it's now working fine..

Very very strange.. Too bad an ip conflict message isn't displayed on the MVP screen.. I guess that'd be a hauppauge firmware issue, not something that could be controlled by Sage anyway..

Well.. Thanks!! Now I can go back to trying to figure out some of the other issues I'm having, but at least in the meantime, basic TV works again!!

-Steve
Old 08-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Sage Icon

I thought about the IP conflict when I saw your first post, but ruled it out because you said about 5 minutes. If you had said about 10 minutes I would have mentioned it right away. I doubt if a IP conflict issue can be detected except for it occurring every 10 minutes.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.