SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Metadata Tools 4.0 Beta Thread (aka BMT 4.0)

Beta | Documentation

I thought I'd start to share the beta builds for those brave enough to actually want to try the bleeding edge.

Standard Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if the program makes a mess of your wiz.bin... so make regular backups

Here's list of items that are being worked on. Things that are in the Release4.0 milestone, means it's complete (but maybe not tested). Anything that is not in the Release4.0 is not currently being worked, but some of it may make it to the final release. You can vote on it if you like.

For these betas, I'm basically looking for feedback on functionality, bugs, etc.

Some important notes.
- There are no stvi/xml imports. Tiki has created an import for the default stv, and I may, with his permission, start including that. For sagemc, i'll see about updating the stv, but I'm hoping that someone else will just create the stv for sagemc, and then I'll just include it with bmt.
- The command line args have changed, so, if you use the command line, then review the args.
- The automatic plugin basically updates the metadata in a background thread. This enables sagetv to quickly get through it's files without having to wait for the metadata scans to complete.
- The automatic plugin uses the System Messages to notify you if a scan failed.
- The web ui has some updated statuses, including system messages, and a complete jar version listing, and it will show "duplicate" jars, which should be removed. (duplicate jars can have some negative side effects)
- if you want to automatically clean out duplicate jars, you can use the commandline
Code:
java -jar MetadataTool.jar --jarclean
- The web ui scanning/browsing has been completely re-done. The new approach is to browse to an area, and then run a scan from the selected area. The results of the scan can be viewed by clicking on the "scan" entry, and then on the # failed or # succeeded.

Keep in mind this is beta. I've been running this build for a few weeks now, and I've found a # of issues. If you find issues, you can report it here, or add it to the main issue list.

If you are not confortable running beta code, then I suggest that you don't install these builds.

Thanks for your help in making this a better tool.

Here are some screenshots of the 4.0 web ui.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmt-beta-1-small.jpg (92.3 KB, 6340 views)
File Type: jpg bmt-beta-2-small.jpg (76.9 KB, 9931 views)
File Type: jpg bmt-beta-3-small.jpg (91.2 KB, 6318 views)
File Type: jpg bmt-beta-4-small.jpg (83.2 KB, 6325 views)

Last edited by stuckless; 02-28-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added Documenation Link - it's a start.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Sean congrats on the beta release reading trough the changes you have been a busy guy . I haven't had bmT for a while since I started working on mymovies but actually am spending this weekend getting my tv reorganized and reimported so I will give this a go this weekend on my tv files and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the hard work and personal help you are always willing to offer me on me only little projects.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Sean congrats on the beta release reading trough the changes you have been a busy guy . I haven't had bmT for a while since I started working on mymovies but actually am spending this weekend getting my tv reorganized and reimported so I will give this a go this weekend on my tv files and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for all the hard work and personal help you are always willing to offer me on me only little projects.
I'm just hoping that once I can get this tool stable, and your project is done... I can retire

BTW... I forgot to mention in the original post... but people should spend some time looking at the configuration options in the web ui. Some are gone, some new ones added, etc.

One of the biggest changes is that there is no longer a single configuration for metadata providers. You now need to specify a tv provider and a movie provider (and maybe eventually a music provider). If you don't specify one, then it will use the defaults which is imdb+themoviedb for movies and tvdb for tv shows.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm just hoping that once I can get this tool stable, and your project is done... I can retire
You're not getting off that easily.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
You're not getting off that easily.
Maybe "retire" is a strong word It's more like, I'll go from working on this 40+hrs a week to < 10... which will feel like "retirement". Of course, then i'll just those other 30hrs working on phoenix
Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Maybe "retire" is a strong word It's more like, I'll go from working on this 40+hrs a week to < 10... which will feel like "retirement". Of course, then i'll just those other 30hrs working on phoenix
I feel you there I am ready to get MyMovies done and be done for a while in Sagetv it is fun but also nice to take a breather. The UI's guys (myself included with SMW) get allot of the credit when your BMT doesn't and our addins wouldn't be possible without it. I especially love Sagex myself and don't know how I would get along without it. After working on MyMovies (a project I originally thought would take a month back in October ) I have more found respect for all that you do and the time it must take you to do all of this.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks. If I didn't enjoy doing it, then I'd stop I think all of us enjoy doing this to some extent... it's just easy to see how it can totally engulf your life And btw... no matter how good you get at programming, your still always think it's going to take a lot less time than it really does
Old 02-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
no matter how good you get at programming, your still always think it's going to take a lot less time than it really does
I think thats true with most things in life
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
Very true I am just glad my Wife hasn't dragged me outside and made me get a limb of a tree so she can beat me with it
Old 02-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
I'll second that, particularly with life in the tech world

Congratulations stuckless! Quite the milestone, you must have been busy, just reading some of the changes made my head spin, in the good way of course

I can't wait to get home and try it out. I've just got a few questions. Can I simply install this over the previous version (and clean out the dup jar files of course)?

I'm assuming since there is no stvi for this then there is no need to do anything with the clients, is that correct?

I'm also assuming that using the current stvi with this new build will yield some painful results. In which case, should I just load a sagemc file on my client that doesn't contain the previous stvi?

Thanks again for all of the time and effort you've put into this. I've certainly done my share to reap the benefits, hopefully I can return an inkling of that by reporting on my experiences with this beta.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereader View Post
Congratulations stuckless! Quite the milestone, you must have been busy, just reading some of the changes made my head spin, in the good way of course

I can't wait to get home and try it out. I've just got a few questions. Can I simply install this over the previous version (and clean out the dup jar files of course)?
I hope it goes well Yeah, just extract over the old installation, and then use the java -jar MetadataTool.jar --jarclean to remove duplicate jars. ANd if you don't remove the duplicate jars, then the webui will report them as well.

Quote:
I'm assuming since there is no stvi for this then there is no need to do anything with the clients, is that correct?

I'm also assuming that using the current stvi with this new build will yield some painful results. In which case, should I just load a sagemc file on my client that doesn't contain the previous stvi?
Yeah, there are no stvi imports. So if you have the old one imported, it might still work, although the configuration setting will be different. The worst thing that will happen from the UI side, is that if you try to use the on-demand fanart lookups, then it might fail, or might work

Quote:
Thanks again for all of the time and effort you've put into this. I've certainly done my share to reap the benefits, hopefully I can return an inkling of that by reporting on my experiences with this beta.
Thanks for willing to help test and troubleshoot this. I look forward to your experiences... good or bad.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Sage Icon

From the stvi, it always fails for me. I tried setting up something in the new MediaTitles.xml file and while it worked from the Web (only if I put in the season and episode numbers), it didn't work from the command-line so I'm not sure if I set it up correctly. I'll work more with it tonight and tomorrow. The show I'm trying to use this for is one of my problem titles (CSI: NY). I'll report as I get more details on what's going on. I'm hoping that it's more a matter of my not using the command-line right as it's been a long time since I tried to use it.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Sage Icon

OK, I must be doing something wrong with the MediaTitles.xml file. Here's what I've added to try to point to tvdb number 73696 for CSI: NY:

Code:
	<match>
		<regex>[\\/]CSI: NY[\\/]</regex>
		<title>CSI: NY</title>
		<year>2004</year>
		<metadata type="tv" name="tvdb">73696</metadata>
	</match>
Any help?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
From the stvi, it always fails for me.
I'm not surprised by that. The bmt apis have changed... If I get a chance I'll take a look at the stvis and get them to a working state.

Quote:
OK, I must be doing something wrong with the MediaTitles.xml file. Here's what I've added to try to point to tvdb number 73696 for CSI: NY:

Code:
	<match>
		<regex>[\\/]CSI: NY[\\/]</regex>
		<title>CSI: NY</title>
		<year>2004</year>
		<metadata type="tv" name="tvdb">73696</metadata>
	</match>
Any help?
The syntax looks good. This is assumeing that you have a directory called "CSI: NY", correct, ie somthing like, \CSI: NY\Season 1\

I'll give this try tonight. If I find a bug, I'll post up a new build.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
SageTVaholic

I just added your <match> to my media titles and used the following command...

Code:
java -jar MetadataTool.jar  "TV/CSI: NY/Season 1/ep1 - S01E01.avi"
And it worked.

Just to clarify. I ship with a MediaTitles.xml.sample. It needs to be renamed to MediaTitles.xml (ie drop the .sample extention)

And, based on your regex, you are matching the full directory as being exactly "CSI: NY".
Old 02-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Sage Icon

Actually there is no directory. These are recorded files from SageTV. In the previous version there was a problem recognizing because of the : in the title. I thought this file was a fix for that. That explains that I'm trying to use it incorrectly. Have you addressed the other issue yet where there's a way to force a particular show title (from Sage or the filename) to use a particular tvdb id?

I did remember to remove the .sample so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Actually there is no directory. These are recorded files from SageTV. In the previous version there was a problem recognizing because of the : in the title. I thought this file was a fix for that. That explains that I'm trying to use it incorrectly. Have you addressed the other issue yet where there's a way to force a particular show title (from Sage or the filename) to use a particular tvdb id?

I did remember to remove the .sample so I don't think that's the problem.
This is the mechanism... it's just the regex is wrong. ie, the regex that you are using is a directory regex, ie, it contains [\\/] which matches windows and linux directory path separators.

Assuming your filenames are in the format...
Code:
CSINY-EpisodeTitle-787777-0.ts
Then your <regex> might be as simple as,
<regex>CSINY-</regex>

If you post up some filename examples, I can help you build the appropriate regex.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks I'll try that. I'm actually not having any success from the command-line even for shows that worked before like Burn Notice. I tried your regex and it didn't work. Here's the filename CSINY-Consequences-1025374-0.ts.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks I'll try that. I'm actually not having any success from the command-line even for shows that worked before like Burn Notice. I tried your regex and it didn't work. Here's the filename CSINY-Consequences-1025374-0.ts.
Thanks for your help... you found bug #1... unfortunately there are no prizes

I added in some extra validation code to the TV stuff and it's now kicking out files that don't have a specific season and episode. Should be a quick fix.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Sage Icon

So I wasn't using it wrong. Good.

I've also noticed that the automatic plugin seems to be getting nothing since I installed it. Could this be related?