SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Understanding tuners and what is recording where

So the one thing I haven't wrapped my head around is how Sage figures out the tuners. I have a HD HomeRun doing dual QAM and an HDPVR recording a cable box. I installed the HDHR first and then the HDPVR. I set up the HDHR as a source and it picked up the channel mappings I did with the SD tools no problem by choosing Comcast Digital Cable. I then added the HDHR and told it I wanted to use a new mapping instead of copying over the HDHR but I selected Digital Cable there as well. In both cases I selected only the channels I got on that particular tuner. So I have channels that overlap... when I choose to record, how does it pick which tuner to use? Obviously on a lot of the digital channels it can ONLY record on the HD PVR. Is there a way in the recordings manager to tell what tuner it will record on?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Sage Fanatic

SageTV picks which tuner to use based on the channel availability and its tuner priority.

Here is a post about modifying your tuner priority. There is also detailed instructions in the SageTV manaul.

For my setup, I have my HVR-2250 tuners as the highest priority and then my two HD-PVRs. All this typically does is guarntee the HVR-2250 is used for analog and ClearQAM channels when all the tuners are idle. Most of the time, I am recording so much that the HD-PVRs are always being used on HD cable channels so there is no option but to use the HVR-2250 for analog and ClearQAM.

Hope this helps.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet View Post
Is there a way in the recordings manager to tell what tuner it will record on?

Thanks,
Paul
You might try this V7 plugin. Not sure if that is what you are asking for however.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

The Parallel Recording Schedule breaks it down by tuner. However there's no guarantee that those tuner assignments won't change by the time the recording actually starts.

Generally the idea is that Sage figures out which tuner to use for which program so that you don't have to think about it. You just tell it which channels are available on which tuners and it does the rest.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

If you're asking - is there a way to view what show will be recorded by what tuner- yes there is a way.

I think the default RECORDINGS view is by day, but it can be changed. I don't remember off the top of my head the name of that view but I know it is there.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So the one thing I haven't wrapped my head around is how Sage figures out the tuners. I have a HD HomeRun doing dual QAM and an HDPVR recording a cable box. I installed the HDHR first and then the HDPVR. I set up the HDHR as a source and it picked up the channel mappings I did with the SD tools no problem by choosing Comcast Digital Cable. I then added the HDHR and told it I wanted to use a new mapping instead of copying over the HDHR but I selected Digital Cable there as well.
I'm a little confused here, normally you'd set up one tuner with a new lineup, and then if the other tuner is on the same source you'd copy the lineup (use an existing one).

Then for the HD PVR, you'd tell it to use a new one (copy probably).

Quote:
So I have channels that overlap... when I choose to record, how does it pick which tuner to use?
It basically just tries to distribute the recordings across the tuners. It will pick HD sources first (those flagged HD in the guide data). If you want it (for example) to always use the HDHR over the HD PVR for channels that overlap, you can increase the merit of the HDHR so that it will try to use those tuners first.

As far as stuff that doesn't overlap, Sage knows, based on your lineup config, that those channels are only on the HDPVR so it will always use the HD PVR for those channels.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Along these same lines, why is it that Sage will try, and try, and try, and ......to tune with NO SIGNAL for the whole hour of a recording without trying to use one of 4 other available tuners? I've been using SageTv over 6 years and love it but this baffles me that I miss a recording and have several available tuners.
Isn't it possible for the devs to make this work in SageTv somehow that it would switch to another tuner if problems arise with the first one it tries?

HD-200 extender, 37 in. lcd tv (HDMI)
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm a little confused here, normally you'd set up one tuner with a new lineup, and then if the other tuner is on the same source you'd copy the lineup (use an existing one).

Then for the HD PVR, you'd tell it to use a new one (copy probably).
Right, that's what I did Thanks guys. I like knowing where it will be recorded. Call me crazy!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelrandolph View Post
Along these same lines, why is it that Sage will try, and try, and try, and ......to tune with NO SIGNAL for the whole hour of a recording without trying to use one of 4 other available tuners? I've been using SageTv over 6 years and love it but this baffles me that I miss a recording and have several available tuners.
Isn't it possible for the devs to make this work in SageTv somehow that it would switch to another tuner if problems arise with the first one it tries?
I don't think I've ever seen this particular problem. I have occasionally had bad recordings due to poor signal, but I don't think I've ever had a recording where Sage actually reported "No Signal".

However, this sounds like a good idea (if Sage detects "No Signal", try re-tuning on the next available tuner). Have you ever suggested this to Sage? You can make suggestions through the bug reporting system - they do listen to feedback and will sometimes make changes in future versions based on suggestions like this.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I'm having a serious No Signal issue just trying to watch live TV, since the latest beta has screwed up my QAM tuning
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm having a serious No Signal issue just trying to watch live TV, since the latest beta has screwed up my QAM tuning
Please use the beta forum, then, so we know you are using the beta.

For v7.0.18, be sure you are using the updated DShowCapture.dll here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Andy, it was more of a general question originally... I just wanted to understand how it worked. I have used the updated dll, it has not resolved my issue. But I admit I haven't bugged it yet so that's on me