SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

HD PVR Crashing when recording the Olympics

The back story: So I haven't posted on here in a while, my Sage system has been working well asides from the odd random crash of the UI and the family has been happily enjoying it.

A couple days ago I received a notice that the EPG data was no longer available and I figured Sage had finally pulled the plug on their EPG stream and it was time to switch to a plugin to continue supporting the Sage system we all know and love. The EPG issue has been documented by others in this thread: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58789 and is now apparently resolved.

During the outage I setup the mc2xml EPG pluggin from Slugger and it appears to be working well. I'll continue to use it for now, but may switch back to Sage EPG if issues arise.

The issue: With the start of the Olympics, my HD PVR's have been completely unstable. They might record for an hour and then they die. Previously they have been rock solid recording 2 hr movies, 4 hrs of football, or just watching live TV. Has anyone else had issues with the Olympic broadcasts or is something fubar'd with my system? We've been getting by recording the Olympics in SD, but we'd really prefer to watch in HD. With the 8hr marathon broadcasts of scattered events its pretty difficult to just schedule the events we want, so we need to record and skim.

The Question: Is anyone else having issues with recording the Olympics? Is it worth upgrading my HD PVR driver? I'm hesitant to tinker as everything has been working so well up to now and i'd hate to make it worse by tinkering with the wrong thing at this point.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Striker-
Old 07-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Sage Expert

While I haven't had your problem with the HD-PVR, I have noticed the latesrt released drivers do perform better with less crashing. Go for it.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

A thought or three:

Check the EPG forum. There was traffic there last week on EPG issues. I got the same message as you twice last week, but now it seems to have cleared itself up. I think I read that the Sage EPG is good until the end of the year, at least.

Not sure how EPG updates could have affected the HDPVR. HDPVRs are susceptible to power supply issues. Search the forum and you'll find threads on that too.

I upgraded the HDPVR drivers recently and recommend it. However, do your homework and check the forum for threads on how the contrast goes Kaplewie when you go to the latest drivers. They changed how it works. It now has more functionality and you will find comments on what to adjust and where to adjust it after the driver upgrades.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA