SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
Sage User

Question Looking at adding cable to my SageTv setup (CableCard)

I am a long time cable cutter and at the insistance of my wife am going back to it. I am looking at adding a 6 Tuner Ceton (Network) device to add to my network. I already use several Silicon dust devices for OTA.

My new service will install tomorrow with Comcast and for high speed internet and available cable tv through my own device, seems I can't beat $50 per month.

Any one installed the Ceton network tuners (not the one that installs in a PC) and had any luck with it? My main SAGE pc is a WHS2011 and I wondered if Sage picks up the exsistance of these tuners j(st as it does the OTA network tuners?
2 HDHomeRun Dual tuners 2 2250 Hauppauge internal tuners1 500 gig operating drive backup 2 HD 300s
1 dual core mini W7 SageTV Client/WHS 2011 media Server i3 8 gig ram 20TB StableBit DrivePool
MyMovies, Serviio Addins. Compuer bkups for house
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I am a long time cable cutter and at the insistance of my wife am going back to it. I am looking at adding a 6 Tuner Ceton (Network) device to add to my network. I already use several Silicon dust devices for OTA.

My new service will install tomorrow with Comcast and for high speed internet and available cable tv through my own device, seems I can't beat $50 per month.

Any one installed the Ceton network tuners (not the one that installs in a PC) and had any luck with it? My main SAGE pc is a WHS2011 and I wondered if Sage picks up the exsistance of these tuners j(st as it does the OTA network tuners?
Sagetv by itself does not support cable card. You will need SageDCT.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Sage Icon

I'm using this box at my dad's, and he has 2 HDHRs (not Primes) already in the mix. (yes, 10 channels, 1 person, and still recording conflicts!)

Once I had SageDCT set to FFMPEG, all is fine.

To use, SageDCT has a special tab that generates all the properties and you shut down SageTV completely, and paste them into the properties file. Restart SageTV, and add the tuners, lineups and then channels. QED. BTW, he had a internal card first, and so I had to open WMC and add the DRM stuff first, so you MIGHT need that (Can someone else confirm/deny that part?).

BTW, his system is a W7, not home server, so I'm unsure about that part.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
SageTVaholic

I recently installed an HDHR Prime, and I didn't have to do anything in WMC. Just installed the silicondust drivers, installed the card in the tuner and connected the Tuning Adapter, then used the web interface to view authorization information for activating it. I am not sure how the ceton device displays this required information. HDHR-Prime's web pages are really quite good.

Once it was activated, I installed SageDCT (latest beta version that you have to donate for), and went through the setup. I use Dump mode, as my cable provider seems to send properly formatted streams, so no need to remux with ffmpeg here.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I recently installed an HDHR Prime, and I didn't have to do anything in WMC. Just installed the silicondust drivers, installed the card in the tuner and connected the Tuning Adapter, then used the web interface to view authorization information for activating it. I am not sure how the ceton device displays this required information. HDHR-Prime's web pages are really quite good.

Once it was activated, I installed SageDCT (latest beta version that you have to donate for), and went through the setup. I use Dump mode, as my cable provider seems to send properly formatted streams, so no need to remux with ffmpeg here.
I was using Dumb mode until today then some channels I could not tune at all no signal had halts during the night. Converted over to ffmpeg now they work so knock on wood Fuzzy.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Sage User

Comcast hookup

So, the question is, should I go with Ceton or HDHR Prime. Seems as if there is more experience in the forums with the HDHR Prime.
Just got the cable working properly yesterday with a new modem and a wireless router I already owned vs. the leased gateway they provided.

Ready to move onto the cable card. Guessing the consensus would lean towards the Silicon Dust vs. Ceton.
2 HDHomeRun Dual tuners 2 2250 Hauppauge internal tuners1 500 gig operating drive backup 2 HD 300s
1 dual core mini W7 SageTV Client/WHS 2011 media Server i3 8 gig ram 20TB StableBit DrivePool
MyMovies, Serviio Addins. Compuer bkups for house
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM
Sage Fanatic

I would say go with HDHR Prime since there is more experience and support from this board.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Sage Expert

I used an HDHR Prime for most of last year and it worked flawlessly -- even better than HDHR OTA tuners that have replaced it.