SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Sage Fanatic

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10. No problems!

I had initial issues upgrading my SageTV server to Windows 10 but it was unrelated to SageTV. After I got all that resolved, all works well with SageTV. In fact, there is a noticeable speed increase navigating menus and such from within SageTV as compared to Windows 7. I have no idea what is different but SageTV responds noticeably faster now that I have Windows 10 loaded

Thanks again to everyone who keeps this up and running. Even though what I'm using is years out of date (hasn't really been changed or updated) I still think it is the best option out there! Great job to all and especially the plugin developers who make it even better. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Windows 10 has a smaller memory footprint which may free up more for SageTV. I found the same when upgrading
HD-HOMERUN CONNECT(2xDVB-T2)x2,
1 HD-PVR2 (Gaming Edition)/SKY HD,
QNAP NAS
Old 03-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Brent94Z,
What card do you have in your computer to record TV? I'm on the fence about the upgrade and I have a Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe card that I am worried about working correctly after the upgrade.
Thanks,
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
I had initial issues upgrading my SageTV server to Windows 10 but it was unrelated to SageTV. After I got all that resolved, all works well with SageTV. In fact, there is a noticeable speed increase navigating menus and such from within SageTV as compared to Windows 7. I have no idea what is different but SageTV responds noticeably faster now that I have Windows 10 loaded

Thanks again to everyone who keeps this up and running. Even though what I'm using is years out of date (hasn't really been changed or updated) I still think it is the best option out there! Great job to all and especially the plugin developers who make it even better. Thanks!
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 03-15-2016, 03:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
Brent94Z,
What card do you have in your computer to record TV? I'm on the fence about the upgrade and I have a Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe card that I am worried about working correctly after the upgrade.
Thanks,
Chuck
I'm running a 2250 and an InviniTV4 both fine on Win10 Pro 64bit with OpenDCT 32bit for the Ceton.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

KarylFStein,
Thank you for the reply. Did you do the in place upgrade to Windows 10 or did you do a clean install? Also, did you ever run SagDCT in Windows 10?
Thanks,
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
I'm running a 2250 and an InviniTV4 both fine on Win10 Pro 64bit with OpenDCT 32bit for the Ceton.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
KarylFStein,
Thank you for the reply. Did you do the in place upgrade to Windows 10 or did you do a clean install? Also, did you ever run SagDCT in Windows 10?
Thanks,
Chuck
The first time I did an in-place upgrade and was running SageDCT and v7. This was before there was a v9 installer and OpenDCT was still not something I was comfortable trying. The in-place W10 upgrade was painless and everything worked, (and my server does a lot more than just SageTV). However my extenders were taking a long time to start up stuck on a "Loading Configuration" screen. (I found out later that the fix was just to unplug/restart the extenders--doh!)

I did a clean install of v7, but then copying over my old SageTV folder so I didn't have to reconfigure anything--I didn't touch SageDCT. Recordings and everything else were working fine. My only problem was the delay in extender start-up.

I finally found the extender answer in the forums and after a power cycle they were fine.

Since I had gotten a couple SSDs on a great Black Friday sale, and I wanted a little more CPU power for transcoding, and the kids were in France for a week, I decided to upgrade the CPU and install W10 fresh on the SSDs. This time I went straight to v9 and OpenDCT.

The only combination I don't think I ever tried was v9 with SageDCT.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

KarylFStein,
Thanks for all the info. It seems like I should be fine as long as I unplug the extenders. That is great to hear.

Thanks,
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
The first time I did an in-place upgrade and was running SageDCT and v7. This was before there was a v9 installer and OpenDCT was still not something I was comfortable trying. The in-place W10 upgrade was painless and everything worked, (and my server does a lot more than just SageTV). However my extenders were taking a long time to start up stuck on a "Loading Configuration" screen. (I found out later that the fix was just to unplug/restart the extenders--doh!)

I did a clean install of v7, but then copying over my old SageTV folder so I didn't have to reconfigure anything--I didn't touch SageDCT. Recordings and everything else were working fine. My only problem was the delay in extender start-up.

I finally found the extender answer in the forums and after a power cycle they were fine.

Since I had gotten a couple SSDs on a great Black Friday sale, and I wanted a little more CPU power for transcoding, and the kids were in France for a week, I decided to upgrade the CPU and install W10 fresh on the SSDs. This time I went straight to v9 and OpenDCT.

The only combination I don't think I ever tried was v9 with SageDCT.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage User

Just for reference, I too have Win 10 with a Ceton InfiniTV 6 PCIe running with OpenDCT and SageTV v9 running without major issues.

I was SageTV v7 on Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit (before I had the InfiniTV) and upgraded to Win 10 Pro 32-bit. Then I needed 64-bit for the InfiniTV drivers so I did a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit. I now have Win 10 Pro x64 with OpenDCT v0.4x and SageTV v9 and it is working well.

Unfortunately I have not seen an increase in performance. In fact, the opposite as my HD200s and Placeshifters now scroll through recordings painfully slowly. The interface on the main server is just fine thou. I am still tweaking, so hopefully I get this issue resolved soon.
Current Setup: Windows 10 Pro x64, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard, Intel Core i5 2400 (3.1Ghz), HD Homerun Prime, InfiniTV 6 PCIe, 25TB of SATA disks, all internal. Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U LCD 1080P TV, Denon 3808CI, Infinity speakers, no Sub yet.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Brent94Z,
Thanks,
Chuck
None. LOL

I'm using two HDHR (4 tuners) and a HDPVR to record off my cablebox

I do have a friend that tried Windows 10, used it for a bit, then clicked the button to go back to what he had before. He said it went back to exactly the way he had it. So, I'm not sure the details, but it sounds like Microsoft makes it very easy to revert back to what you had if it doesn't work for you.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

pjaffray & Brent94Z,
Thanks for the info. It sounds like everything should be ok for me to upgrade.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Sage Fanatic

Wow! On a side note, I saw something above that caught my eye... OpenDCT. I tried setting up SageDCT and got it working with my cable card but the channels were totally jacked. I never had the motivation or took the time to try and manually map all the channels, etc. I had recently been running into a few issues every so often where I wanted to watch something but couldn't because my HDPVR was recording something else. This didn't happen often though so it wasn't a huge priority but, seeing as how I had only ONE tuner that could record stuff beyond basic cable, it did come up every so often so I did want to get SageDCT figured out.

Well, I see mentioned OpenDCT and thought I'd look into it. After struggling with trying to understand the instructions for not looking at my HDHR tuners, I gave up and just did the generic install. Turns out this worked OK and I just picked my Prime tuners. I was pleasantly surprised to see no wacky crazy channel numbers and instead they were NORMAL channel numbers just like my cablebox! I tuned them and they WORKED! So, I now have extended cable able to record on 4 tuners instead of just 1 and it seems to work GREAT!

So, as an added update, I'm now using Windows 10 with Sage V7 and OpenDCT and it seems to work just fine. I don't have HBO or stuff like that but on Bright House the channels I have tried work. Happy camper!

Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 PM
SageTVaholic

If anyone using either or BOTH a Hauppauge Colossus and/or HD PVR first revision, and you've upgraded successfully to Windows 10, can you post your story of either success or failure?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-17-2016, 12:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
If anyone using either or BOTH a Hauppauge Colossus and/or HD PVR first revision, and you've upgraded successfully to Windows 10, can you post your story of either success or failure?
I have a HD PVR on W10. Did the in place update, and everything was fine, except the W10 USB are pure crap (replace crap with about 20 of the worse bad words you can think of), so had to play musical USB ports to get everything working.

Saying that, it's worked fine ever since, no messed up recordings, but I normally reset my machine 1+ time a week for other reasons.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:32 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I'm using the older HD PVR with a USB UIRT to change channels. Did the upgrade and all works well.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent94Z View Post
I'm using the older HD PVR with a USB UIRT to change channels. Did the upgrade and all works well.
Yes, this is my setup, but like I said, after the update, I think I ended up moving every single USB device.

Oops, now that I think of it, I had to build my own USB UIRT driver, and override the unsigned drive to get that working. There are instructions on the USB UIRT site, and while I know a lot about computers, I had NEVER created a driver.

Here is the link:
http://usbuirt.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5606

You'll have to find the Windows 10 signed driver override on google, not as easy as it once was.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM
SageTVaholic

is anyone using 1394, Firewire channel changing with W10?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 03-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm View Post
Yes, this is my setup, but like I said, after the update, I think I ended up moving every single USB device.

Oops, now that I think of it, I had to build my own USB UIRT driver, and override the unsigned drive to get that working. There are instructions on the USB UIRT site, and while I know a lot about computers, I had NEVER created a driver.

Here is the link:
http://usbuirt.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5606

You'll have to find the Windows 10 signed driver override on google, not as easy as it once was.
I didn't have to do any of that. And, I have around 16 USB devices plugged in! I did end up unplugging all but my keyboard/mouse USB to get Windows 10 to install but after Windows 10 was loaded, I plugged everything back in and it just worked
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

I understand that Windows 10, by default, can decide to reboot after it applies updates. Can anyone who has moved to Win 10 comment on what to do to manage that, so that it happens when I want it to, and not when Windows 10 wants to reboot? Are there any other settings that need to be managed - that may have been different from the Windows 7 experience?

Hoping for the best, planning for the worst.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post
I understand that Windows 10, by default, can decide to reboot after it applies updates. Can anyone who has moved to Win 10 comment on what to do to manage that, so that it happens when I want it to, and not when Windows 10 wants to reboot? Are there any other settings that need to be managed - that may have been different from the Windows 7 experience?

What I did on my Win 10 Server is disable the Windows Update service ... I enable it when I have time and nothing is recording and get the updates.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by egeller View Post

In the advanced update options I set "notify to restart". I can't say 100% if that works, but I haven't noticed any service disruptions and have had to manually approve a restart in the past.