SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Minimum international cell service for Sage, Plex, etc

We're heading to Europe in the summer, and use T-Mobile, who gives us 'unlimited' international data, usually at 3G (if 4G is available, our phones connect, but it's unlikely to happen in most Euro zones we're heading)

Anyway, if I want to use my Samsung Galaxy S5 / Chromecast 2 as a streaming setup for Sage Miniclient, Plex, Netflix (VPN), what kind of data rates would be the bare minimum? I assume 2G won't give me any results, but what about 3G?

Also, from a wifi angle, what would be the minimum download / upload bandwidth rates to look for with VRBO, Air B&B, hotels, etc. to stream the same sources. Would 5mb down be sufficient, as that's all that a lot of places supply (basic email speed)

I record everything at 720p, so no 1080 resolution to worry about.

We're so spoiled in North America, I'm concerned my plan for portable streaming may not be possible.

thanks
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't believe the android miniclient supports sage's transcoding at this point in time, so I'd just avoid that except for remote management. Plex has various settings, and bandwidth just results in quality (though syncing content to the device may be a better solution for you). So, I'd use miniclient for setting up sage recordings and such. Use Plex to do the actual watching, and for shows you know you are going to want to watch, have Plex auto-sync a certain number of them to your device at a higher quality. This will have plex transcode them and your phone will download them overnight, so connection speeds aren't really that important for actual watching.

Most of Europe has better internet speeds than almost all of North America.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-23-2016, 11:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll second the recommendation for Plex.

That being said, I've never had much luck trying to stream from Europe. Speed tests to European servers might be decent, but I haven't been able to maintain much more than ~3mbps back to my network.

Maybe it's just my ISP (Verizon). I have trouble streaming from the west coast, too.

If all else fails, the auto sync idea is a good one.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:01 AM
SageTVaholic

so the auto-sync feature is essentially a download? why not just call it 'download'? lol.
Two things then about that: don't you have to be paying for a subscription for that (as opposed to just paying for the app itself), and you need to have plenty of blank space on your phones SD card?
Glad I asked about this before leaving. What about Roku or Apple TV as a viewing alternative? I could always put one of those in a suitcase.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 06-24-2016, 04:45 AM
SageTVaholic

The sync is smarter than just downloading the recording. For example, you can have it set to keep say 4 unwatched episodes of a show(or season) on your device. The quality/bitrate can be set for each sync rule. In addition, the mobile app actually acts as a server, allowing other plex devices local on the network to play the synced media from the device. I use this in my RV, where I've got a network router and raspberry pi running plex. Each family member's devices have a few episodes of their favorite shows synced on them (my phone, my wife's phone, and each of my daughters' tablets). If the devices are on the network, then the raspberry can see that content, complete with all it's metadata, and can play it back from the device, without needing any internet.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
The sync is smarter than just downloading the recording. For example, you can have it set to keep say 4 unwatched episodes of a show(or season) on your device. The quality/bitrate can be set for each sync rule. In addition, the mobile app actually acts as a server, allowing other plex devices local on the network to play the synced media from the device. I use this in my RV, where I've got a network router and raspberry pi running plex. Each family member's devices have a few episodes of their favorite shows synced on them (my phone, my wife's phone, and each of my daughters' tablets). If the devices are on the network, then the raspberry can see that content, complete with all it's metadata, and can play it back from the device, without needing any internet.
so you only need to pay for one subscription on one device to feed all the other devices? Do you pay monthly when you need it, or yearly, or lifetime?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

The Plex sync features are pretty good, actually, as fuzzy described. My one complaint is that you're limited by the encoding options. It seems like I can get similar quality at almost half the size using optimized Handbrake profiles.

I believe it does require a Plex Pass subscription, though. I got a lifetime sub before the price doubled to $150, which I tend to think it a little ridiculous. But, I think it is probably your best bet if you want to access TV recordings while you're gone. Just get a monthly sub for $5/month.

You're also right about need storage space on whatever device would be storing/playing these recordings. Plan for 1-2GB/hr depending on the desired quality.

What would you do with a Roku or Apple TV? From what I understand, it's a pain to use those with a VPN. Besides, Netflix is cracking down on VPNs, so I'm not sure what your chance of success would be anyway. You can't sync Plex files to those (not even to AndroidTV devices, from what I understand), so you'd be at the mercy of whatever streaming speeds you're able to maintain.

I brought a Roku on some trips with a USB flash drive full of movies. That worked reasonably well, although the last time I went on a big trip I just filled a 200GB microSD card on my Shield K1 tablet and brought along a HDMI cable and a little remote. It worked OK (admittedly, not as well as a Roku, but it took up less space since I was going to bring the tablet anyway).
Old 06-24-2016, 09:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
so you only need to pay for one subscription on one device to feed all the other devices? Do you pay monthly when you need it, or yearly, or lifetime?
You pay a subscription for your account, which can cover multiple devices (and servers, I believe).

The subscription options are:
$5/month
$40/year
$150/lifetime
Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi there - OK, bit the bullet and subscribed for a month, but am having a little understanding the SYNC concept. When you set up a program to 'sync', are you actually setting up a 'conversion' process on your PLEX server, remotely (if you're in an airport for example)? And then when that process is complete, the converted file is either downloaded to your mobile device, or do you have to 'ask' for it to be downloaded upon conversion completion?
Also, can you dictate where the converted files are stored on your PLEX server, and can you delete them, remotely, after you've downloaded them?
Sorry for all the questions, just thought you may know offhand
Old 07-06-2016, 09:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hi there - OK, bit the bullet and subscribed for a month, but am having a little understanding the SYNC concept. When you set up a program to 'sync', are you actually setting up a 'conversion' process on your PLEX server, remotely (if you're in an airport for example)? And then when that process is complete, the converted file is either downloaded to your mobile device, or do you have to 'ask' for it to be downloaded upon conversion completion?
Also, can you dictate where the converted files are stored on your PLEX server, and can you delete them, remotely, after you've downloaded them?
Sorry for all the questions, just thought you may know offhand
When a sync is requested, yes, it will start the conversion on the server. It will then download it to the client - if it is allowed (I think by default, it will only download when connected via wifi, but mobile data can be used if you so choose). If you have it set to sync 4 unwatched episodes of a show, and you watch one of them, on the next sync, it will convert and download the next unsynced one, and remove the watched one. Ideally, the best way to do all this is to set up the syncs before your trip, so they can transfer on your home network, and you're only playing catch-up during your trip.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
When a sync is requested, yes, it will start the conversion on the server. It will then download it to the client - if it is allowed (I think by default, it will only download when connected via wifi, but mobile data can be used if you so choose). If you have it set to sync 4 unwatched episodes of a show, and you watch one of them, on the next sync, it will convert and download the next unsynced one, and remove the watched one. Ideally, the best way to do all this is to set up the syncs before your trip, so they can transfer on your home network, and you're only playing catch-up during your trip.
ok, I thought as soon as you set up a sync, the process began then. Are you saying you can set up syncs for episodes which haven't even been aired and recorded yet?
Old 07-07-2016, 01:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
ok, I thought as soon as you set up a sync, the process began then. Are you saying you can set up syncs for episodes which haven't even been aired and recorded yet?
Yes, if you set the sync at the show or season level, and not on an actual episode.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yes, if you set the sync at the show or season level, and not on an actual episode.
Do you know where the transcoded/converted files are stored on the server, or if you can change where they're stored? My boot drive is small...
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Do you know where the transcoded/converted files are stored on the server, or if you can change where they're stored? My boot drive is small...
Yeah, it's stored (in non-human-readable folder and file names) in a configurable folder. In the Plex Web UI -> Settings -> General -> Show Advanced -> "The path where local application data is stored"

Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, it's stored (in non-human-readable folder and file names) in a configurable folder. In the Plex Web UI -> Settings -> General -> Show Advanced -> "The path where local application data is stored"
Brilliant. Can I change that so transcodes go to a new directory, or will that also mess up "the path where local application data is stored" for some reason, aka other things need that specific appdata path
Old 07-08-2016, 12:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Brilliant. Can I change that so transcodes go to a new directory, or will that also mess up "the path where local application data is stored" for some reason, aka other things need that specific appdata path
It will just keep all your data in whatever folder you choose in that settings. The rest of the stuff in that folder is essentially the metadata for the stuff in your plex library.