SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Sage Icon

No changes to mobile SageTV support, right?

Howdy y'all, I'm still using SageTV as a back-end TV recorder with Plex on Roku as playback as nobody else seems to make a software alternative that records in Plex-compatible format. (WTF JRMC, get your act together!).

The one issue i'm having is scheduling new favorites requires using my laptop to use the web interface. (MobileWeb stopped working for me a while ago, but I was never that wild about it so I haven't tried fixing it).

I've been lurking every 2-3 months to see if I've seen anything about people using mobile devices to administer SageTV but I don't think I've seen anything about that. Just want to confirm thats correct, and i'm not just being a stupid blind idiot.

Still befuddled, I guess those of us who record onto PCs really are a dying breed. I just like the infinite storage of it, I'm at just over 11TB of TV despite downconverting to 1.5GB/hour.

Thanks, hope all is well with folks here.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Sage Expert

I know you are a roku fan and all, but sage -> plex -> roku seems like a lot of moving pieces...
why not just go with something like the nvidia shield and run the sage-mini client on it?
cuts out a bunch of in between stuff?
pretty sure androidTV supports Netflix + all the rest out of the box, add the sage mini client app and you get everything.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Sage Icon

Plex has pretty cool offline sync capabilities, and Roku also supports Amazon, Netflix, & Google Play movies.

I didn't even know there was a mini client, I must have missed that. Is there an iOS version too? Wife/kids use iOS, I use Android.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

and for just scheduling, the miniclient will work fine on most android phones and tablets, just video playback support is iffy in it. With that, though, you'd have the full sagetv UI in your pocket to schedule and manage recordings on.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 PM
Sage Icon

btw, i am absolutely totally cool with abandoning Plex. Not terribly wild about it, but I need a mechanism to playback BluRay, DVD, and SageTV recordings.

Less wild about abandoning Roku unless there's something thats proven by users to work for Netflix, Google Play, Amazon, and SageTV playback. I've gone through several options (Chromecast, GTV, AndroidTV, something else i'm forgetting) and none of those were stable.

Will look into what the Miniclient is and how to setup, thx.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

stuckless has done a tremendous job on the Android miniclient, but let's not get IVB's hopes up.

The miniclient isn't exactly pleasant to use on a phone/tablet- the interface just isn't well-suited for that. Can you do everything you want? Sure, but I think it's going to get frustrating fast.

The Shield TV is pretty nice. It officially supports Netflix, Google Play, HBO Go., Hulu (and a few others). While Amazon isn't officially available, you can sideload a version meant for a Sony TV. It works quite well- but there's always the chance that Amazon might disable it. I still have a Roku hooked up to my primary TV (for my wife), but I use the Shield for everything other than Sage.

The miniclient runs pretty well on it. But, it's not as stable as the HD300, nor is it as fast. It's a little slower to respond to the wifi remote, and much slower to respond if you use an IR remote. Playback has drastically improved over the course of the project, but no surround sound (through the more stable playback engine, at least), and I personally find that seeking through video files is unreliable/unstable.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:40 AM
Sage Icon

It is Android only (no iOS support planned).
It does not support DVD or BD playback and no support is planned.
It relies on the same UI system as the full-blown Sage or Sage extenders (including Gemstone). However, these aren't terribly touch friendly, nor are they particularly well suited to small phone screens. But there is nothing stopping someone from creating a mobile friendly UI, so this will probably get better in time.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-29-2016, 06:56 AM
SageTVaholic

I've posted a Wiki page that outlines the comparisons between the Android MiniClient and the HD300... Worth checking out for an overview of features.

I can't argue with Tiki and reggie14's comments/experiences only to say that I've retired my 3 HD300s and roku boxes and now use a Shield TV at each TV. My experience with the Android MiniClient is very good for my h264 ts recordings... but I don't have DVDs (at least not in the vob format) and BluRays. Having quick access to SageTV, YouTube, Netflix, and other apps on a single box has been great for me, and has greatly improved WAF
Old 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Sage Fanatic

Does the mini client use server RAM like the HD300? I recall reading that it does but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd like to replace my HD300 on our main TV with something that supports Netflix natively. Are there any obvious benefits to using the mini client over Windows 10 PC with the SageTV client and the Netflix 1080p app.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 07-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Sage Expert

while I have not personally "Used" the mini client, I do have it installed on my Jeep's Head Unit, and on my phone, and in playing with it it seems to work just fine... it does at least seem to play my DVD's & BR's fine (in .MKV) but, I have never watched anything all the way through... just more of a clicking on things to see if/how they worked sort of thing...
so far, the couple of things I tried all seem to work flawlessly... or at least as flawlessly as the wireless network access from my driveway allows (very poor signal...)
the SageTV touch UI is a bit meh... but Stuckless's nav menu thing isn't too bad once you get the hang of it... not really an issue if using it on an actual TV with a remote though...
either case, the miniclient is free... no harm in trying it out

you do need to be on sage V9 though... so far I have found no down side to upgrading to v9... and the upside of running it on a docker on my unraid server is a super big plus... and having 4G of heap memory is nice too...
Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Sage Expert

I wonder if the CQC sage driver could be made to do scheduling? or can it do it already?
might be another way to go... just create a CQC sage scheduling UI screen?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I've posted a Wiki page that outlines the comparisons between the Android MiniClient and the HD300... Worth checking out for an overview of features.
That's a great summary. A quick question and a comment:

By blu-ray and DVD playback, I assume you're talking about structures. I haven't tried, but I've expected that my blu-ray rips to MKVs would work. Right?

Also, the Shield TV's built-in IR sensor works out-of-the-box. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the buttons don't work.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
you do need to be on sage V9 though... so far I have found no down side to upgrading to v9... and the upside of running it on a docker on my unraid server is a super big plus... and having 4G of heap memory is nice too...
You don't need to be on Sage v9 to use the miniclient. At least, I've been using it a bit, and my server is still v7. I don't think that's supposed to create problems.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
I wonder if the CQC sage driver could be made to do scheduling? or can it do it already?
might be another way to go... just create a CQC sage scheduling UI screen?
although that sounds tempting, I should hunt down how to install the mini-client. TBH as of this moment it sounds like since Plex works, I should stick with it. The only issue is in the hassle of recording new shows. I always have my phone, but have to beg kids to use one of my two laptops (which is a whole different mess).

If the mini-client works to schedule new recordings, manage favorites on an android phone, i'm good to go. Doesn't have to be pretty, just work. I don't need to stream to it, I can use Plex on my phone for that.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
That's a great summary. A quick question and a comment:

By blu-ray and DVD playback, I assume you're talking about structures. I haven't tried, but I've expected that my blu-ray rips to MKVs would work. Right?

Also, the Shield TV's built-in IR sensor works out-of-the-box. Unsurprisingly, a lot of the buttons don't work.
Yeah, if things are ripped to MKV or MP4, etc, then it will work. But VIDEO_TS folders and BDMV folders do not work. So when I say "dvd support" I'm referring to VIDEO_TS folders with DVD menus (which the HD300 does do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Does the mini client use server RAM like the HD300? I recall reading that it does but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd like to replace my HD300 on our main TV with something that supports Netflix natively. Are there any obvious benefits to using the mini client over Windows 10 PC with the SageTV client and the Netflix 1080p app.
The wiki link compares to Android MiniClient to pc client as well. For all purposes the Android MiniCient is the HD300 software + placeshifter ported to run on Android. So, it uses the memory on the server, just like HD300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
although that sounds tempting, I should hunt down how to install the mini-client.
If you device has access to the play store.... Then search for SageTV and then install SageTV miniclient.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.tv&hl=en
Old 07-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you device has access to the play store.... Then search for SageTV and then install SageTV miniclient.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.tv&hl=en
Holy cow that was easy! Thanks! Is there a donate option somewhere?
Old 07-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
although that sounds tempting, I should hunt down how to install the mini-client. TBH as of this moment it sounds like since Plex works, I should stick with it. The only issue is in the hassle of recording new shows. I always have my phone, but have to beg kids to use one of my two laptops (which is a whole different mess).

If the mini-client works to schedule new recordings, manage favorites on an android phone, i'm good to go. Doesn't have to be pretty, just work. I don't need to stream to it, I can use Plex on my phone for that.
the mini client is a full sage UI, looks, works, and feels almost exactly the same as an HD300... so, yes you can schedule new recordings from it... just, from a phone point of view, the press area for the button's is kind of small...
but I only have the OnePlus Two, if you have a bigger screen, they may be big enough for you...

seriously, your little people are not so little anymore, you should buy them their own laptops... (oh and btw, your like old dude...)

also IVB is known for his infinitely large scale box of unused electronics, you probably have a shield just sitting in there you can try the mini client out on... see if it can be a plex/roku replacement...
Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Sage Icon

No shield, but it is interesting esp as it supports Plex. I could do Plex for BR/DVD, and the SageTV app side-by-side. Doesn't appear to have Amazon but thats something we might be able to give up. Netflix is the huge one.

I have a 6P, so no huge issues on screen size, just tried it. Not ideal, but its not often that I need to add new shows, so survivable.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
No shield, but it is interesting esp as it supports Plex. I could do Plex for BR/DVD, and the SageTV app side-by-side. Doesn't appear to have Amazon but thats something we might be able to give up. Netflix is the huge one.
The Amazon Video app from Sony's AndroidTV works on the NVIDIA Shield TV- you just need to sideload it. Search the AndroidTV subreddit.