SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Sage User

Question PlaceShift Port

I need to know how to determine what port PlaceShifter is using. I don't believe it is configured with the standard 31099. I have this port open on my router, and on my windows firewall, but still cannot connect. I have determined that placeshifter is most likely listening on a different port than the standard 31099. I think this because if I completely disable my windows firewall, I can connect from my local network, but I still cannot connect through the internet, even though I set up DMZ host on my router.

Placeshifter was working until I upgraded to 6.2.8

Any help on how to verify my placeshifter server port would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Administrator

There's a blurb about ports at the end of chapter 7 in the PDF manual. You could check the value of extender_and_placeshifter_server_port. If this had been accidentally changed, then you would not be able to connect using your MVP, if you have one.

The router is configured to forward the port to your SageTV server, right?

If you go to Detailed Setup -> Server -> Configure PS Internet Connection, then wait for the data to update on the next screen, it should show port info when the top button is highlighted ("Configure PS Connection").

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Sage User

OH yeah, the really odd thing is that with my windows firewall enabled and my current router settings, the "Test Placeshifter Connection" passes, but I can't actually connect to the placeshifter server unless I disable Windows Firewall, and then only on the local LAN after it appears automatically in the PLaceshifter client server list.

The only port I have open on the router is the 31099 port... so I'm a little surprised that it passes the test connection.

I'll check extender_and_placeshifter_server_port tomorrow, thank you Opus.

-Wolf
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Where are you connecting from? Is it possible that the computer on the internet has an outgoing firewall?

You can also test that port 31099 is accepting connections using grc.com's ShieldsUp firewall tester :
  • Go to www.grc.com
  • Select ShieldsUp from the menu
  • Proceed
  • Enter 30199 in the textbox
  • Select User Specified Custom Port Probe
  • If is listed as Open, then incoming connections are being accepted by your computer on this port (GRC lists this as a 'Failure' of your firewall!)
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you figure your problem out yet, as I am having same issue. Works fine on lan, but not from internet. Yes the port is being fwd and yes the firewall is off on my sage server and on the router.

Also, yes the test placeshifter function in setup says it passes.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
There's a blurb about ports at the end of chapter 7 in the PDF manual. You could check the value of extender_and_placeshifter_server_port. If this had been accidentally changed, then you would not be able to connect using your MVP, if you have one.

The router is configured to forward the port to your SageTV server, right?

If you go to Detailed Setup -> Server -> Configure PS Internet Connection, then wait for the data to update on the next screen, it should show port info when the top button is highlighted ("Configure PS Connection").

- Andy

extender_and_placeshifter_server_port is set to 31099
The router is configured to forward to my sagetv server.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm View Post
Where are you connecting from? Is it possible that the computer on the internet has an outgoing firewall?

You can also test that port 31099 is accepting connections using grc.com's ShieldsUp firewall tester :
  • Go to www.grc.com
  • Select ShieldsUp from the menu
  • Proceed
  • Enter 30199 in the textbox
  • Select User Specified Custom Port Probe
  • If is listed as Open, then incoming connections are being accepted by your computer on this port (GRC lists this as a 'Failure' of your firewall!)
ShieldsUP result:

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2007-09-20 at 01:52:57

Results from probe of port: 31099

1 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
0 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1 Ports Tested

THE PORT tested was found to be: OPEN.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.

I've thus far only tried connecting to my SageTV box from a computer within my network by using my dynDNS address, which is ids-home.dyndns.org. This used to work for connecting to my box. The other problem is that I used to be able to see my placeshifter server on my local network as a Local Network server. Now the only way to see it is with windows firewall on the Sage box disabled. But no matter how I configure it, I cannot connect using my dyndns address.

EDIT: Ok, I resolved the problem with the windows firewall by added "sagetvservice.exe" to the exceptions list. However, I still can't connect using my dyndns address.

Last edited by wolfpackmars2; 09-19-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Sage User

Ok... nevermind, I got the external server working. I guess it just will not work from my local lan connecting through my dyndns address. I tried connecting with my laptop (using dial-up), and it connected fine.

I just wish the placeshifter interface wasn't so slow...

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this information helps someone else get this program working.

-Wolf
Old 09-20-2007, 01:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Strange, when I connect to my SageTV server with Placeshifter using my DynDNS address on my local network it automatically resolves it as a local address on the network. I'm not sure how it does that though. It actually adds another connection to the list when it does that. But that added connection doesn't remain on the list after I've closed and reopened Placeshifter.