SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Sage User

Several questions for new user

I am evaluating the free trial to make sure ti works before I buy (need XClear QAM) and I have run into several questions that I couldn't find in a search through the forum. Hope these aren't all repeats:
1. Time in the guide - The guide for the system shows 4 hours ahead of my local time so the schedules are all off. Is there some place wher ei can set this time? I triple checked that I have downloaded the correct location and gcable company (Time Warner Cable, Austin, TX)
2. Media imports - I pointed the media center to my music/video/photos directories but it is not importing the files. Is there a setting I need to make it search subdirectories ro do I actually have to add each album directory? Could it be a permissions thing?
3. Setup - I have run setup several times to completion (to get Clear QAM to work) but each time I start SageTV now it still wants to take me through setup after I hit "ok" in the trial screen pop-up. Is this a trial software thing?
4. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. When I try to get the software to run as a service it says it times out when starting (sorry, I'm at work and don't have exact error message). Is this a trial software thing or are there issues with Sage running as service in Vista?

Any help would be much appreciated. Now that I have Clear QAM working I really want to make the other stuff work so I can buy it and use instead of MCE.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM
Sage Expert

A lot of these, I don't know the answer to, but I do know that the time issue is related to Java. You need to update your java for Windows Vista, and that should correct it (it has to do with Congress changing DST, yada, yada).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCBoy View Post
I am evaluating the free trial to make sure ti works before I buy (need XClear QAM) and I have run into several questions that I couldn't find in a search through the forum. Hope these aren't all repeats:
1. Time in the guide - The guide for the system shows 4 hours ahead of my local time so the schedules are all off. Is there some place wher ei can set this time? I triple checked that I have downloaded the correct location and gcable company (Time Warner Cable, Austin, TX)
2. Media imports - I pointed the media center to my music/video/photos directories but it is not importing the files. Is there a setting I need to make it search subdirectories ro do I actually have to add each album directory? Could it be a permissions thing?
3. Setup - I have run setup several times to completion (to get Clear QAM to work) but each time I start SageTV now it still wants to take me through setup after I hit "ok" in the trial screen pop-up. Is this a trial software thing?
4. I am using Windows Vista Ultimate. When I try to get the software to run as a service it says it times out when starting (sorry, I'm at work and don't have exact error message). Is this a trial software thing or are there issues with Sage running as service in Vista?

Any help would be much appreciated. Now that I have Clear QAM working I really want to make the other stuff work so I can buy it and use instead of MCE.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage User

Thanks sainswor99. I'll look around to find out where I do that. (1 down, 3 to go :-))
Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:

Number 3: Turn off UAC in Vista! This will save you more problems later is you leave it on. It solves this for certain among other things. It also may resolve 4.

Sorry not sure about 1 or 2.

Also, if you intend on using MVPs, you may want to wait for SR1 for Vista. There are problems with MVPs running Vista. Looks like it is resolved but I have seen it reported resolved before only to find out it still is a problem for some users. See this thread: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26465
Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks sainswor99. I'll look around to find out where I do that. (1 down, 3 to go :-))
That's easy; go to www.java.com, and it will tell you if you need to update, and download it for you.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Sage User

Kevine,

Thanks! I read that thread and I have to ask some potentially stupid questions here:
1. What is MVP? If it refers to mapping the drives over a network then this doesn't really apply to me - my media is on the local disks. I should have used a different word other than "map" like "configure" I suppose :-)
2. What is UAC?

Thanks again and sorry for the dumb questions ...
Old 10-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
1. What is MVP? If it refers to mapping the drives over a network then this doesn't really apply to me - my media is on the local disks. I should have used a different word other than "map" like "configure" I suppose :-)
MVP = Hauppauge Media Extender ("Music, Video, Pictures" maybe). It's a Standard Def. internet appliance that allows for pretty much the full Sage UI from your TV. One "end" connects to your LAN, the other to your TV. http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SB

Matt
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Kevine,

Thanks! I read that thread and I have to ask some potentially stupid questions here:
2. What is UAC?

Thanks again and sorry for the dumb questions ...
If you will only be interested in using Sage from the the PC where it is installed, a MVP will not be needed. They are like mini-pcs to connect to sage (recordings, photos, etc.) through the home network.

User Account Control (UAC)
Directions on how to turn it off:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d3eae1033.mspx

UAC basically protects users from themselves. It flashes the screen and prompts you to confirm performing an Administrator function or 1 that will affect other users when they login.

Last edited by kevine; 10-18-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to explain UAC.