SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Sage User

About the audio problem, could you try...

... the following to see if this could help.

Open the avi file using virtuadub
Go to video and select direct stream copy
file save as using old old format.

On another media streamer this fixed this kind of problems.

Did not receive my extender yet so can't do the test myself.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
It ought to be able to do 1680x1050 like this:

Code:
extender_resolution_extra_modes=1680x1050p@60|standard\=VESA_1680x1050x60
Haven't tried that one though.
Thanks, I will give that a try when it arrives!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Sage User

RE: Divx\Xvid playback issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrodude View Post
I'm having issues playing Divx\Xvid videos on my new HD Extender. I updated the firmware and followed the guide to set it up and Live HD TV works very nice but I can't playback many of my Divx files without getting playback exception errors or the extender locking up. All Divx videos play fine on all other PC's and hardware I have. I even get the errors when playing back videos I transcoded using SageTV earlier that used to work on the server and transcoded across to my MVPs. Any ideas?

Sage Server is 6.3 and Extender is updated to latest firmware last night.

Anyone else having issues? Reviews said the HD Extender took anything thrown at it.

Thanks.
I've been testing for days now and I've concluded the HD Extender is having real issues playing back Divx and Xvid formats. Some work ok but most lock up the extender device completely causing me to power it off and back on. My .mp4 files work fine but I'm not happy with the quality compared to Xvid or Divx. I also tried to rip a DVD to .h264 and it studdered and the audio was off while playing on the HD Extender. I was able to play all of these videos using the SageTV PC client with the exception of .mp4 which have always locked up SageTV on the PC client for me. I can't believe I'm the only one having these issues?? I don't consider about a 90% failure rate for Xvid\Divx files to be a small issue.

PS. So I don't sound totally negative.. I do want to say that the HD TV is working great using my HDHomerun and the HD Extender so it's not a total loss at this point.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Sage Icon

That's odd. I have all my recordings converted to either xvid or divx and have had no difficulty at all playing anything.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
That's odd. I have all my recordings converted to either xvid or divx and have had no difficulty at all playing anything.
OK.. I had been using FairUse Wizard 2 Pro to convert my DVD library to xvid setting desired output file to 2000MB and it looks like those are mainly the files I can't play with the new HD Extender. I found a few videos I had done earlier with another program and they seem to play fine on the HD Extender so I purchased DVDFab and I am able to play xvid and .mp4 files created from it. I guess I may just have to convert my DVD library again....uhhg. I still think there is some issue with the extender as I can play the videos I'm having trouble with in any other player including SageTV on the server and SageTV PC client and transcoded to several MVPs. At least I have a work around..even if it will be a lot of work...
Old 12-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Sage Expert

The best is to submit a support request. I did it for some of myh videos and they asked me to send them some samples so they can take a look at it.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
The best is to submit a support request. I did it for some of myh videos and they asked me to send them some samples so they can take a look at it.
Thanks. I'll do that. First time I've had to request support as everyone on this forum is always so great to help out.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage User

I have been using FairUse 2 as well with mixed results on playback. I would either get a playback exception or the extender would go into standby. I've opened a ticket with Sage and provided them the logs. I'm seeing the following errors.

Mon 12/17 21:26:08.155 Seeker has finished the library import scan.
Mon 12/17 21:26:17.978 java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Mon 12/17 21:26:17.980 VideFrame had an error loading the file. It must abort the file load.
Mon 12/17 21:26:17.981 Closing down MiniPlayer
Old 12-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Sage Expert

I see the exact same error. I origonally thought it was related to file size, because it seemed that divx/xvid files that are over approx 3GB were causing an issue for me, but I did have a few that seemed to work. I am going to try converting one from xvid to nero digital to see if it makes any difference and test it tonight...
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Reference frames?

There is a known bug on ATI/NVidia cards with hardware acceleration and how a specific x264 file is formatted.

See here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post12423227

Since the HD extender is hardware as well (as he states the obvious), could this be related?

Robert
Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Is there any more information about the DivX/XviD issues? I also have a bunch of divx files that lock up the extender, and they are mostly kids shows so the WAF is dropping...

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 PM
SageTVaholic

The bad news is that there has not been much news on this issue. The good news is that if you convert the divx files (via Sage) to "avi good quality" the new divx files work fine... It's a cludge, but it works.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
Sage User

Firmware update 20080125 2 fixed all my problems!!

Quote:
OK.. I had been using FairUse Wizard 2 Pro to convert my DVD library to xvid setting desired output file to 2000MB and it looks like those are mainly the files I can't play with the new HD Extender. I found a few videos I had done earlier with another program and they seem to play fine on the HD Extender so I purchased DVDFab and I am able to play xvid and .mp4 files created from it. I guess I may just have to convert my DVD library again....uhhg. I still think there is some issue with the extender as I can play the videos I'm having trouble with in any other player including SageTV on the server and SageTV PC client and transcoded to several MVPs. At least I have a work around..even if it will be a lot of work...
Just wanted to update that ALL of my Divx and Xvid files are now playing fine on the STX-HD100 extender after applying the latest firmware update (20080125 2). Thank you SageTV for what is now a "perfect" setup for me.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just wanted to update that ALL of my Divx and Xvid files are now playing fine on the STX-HD100 extender after applying the latest firmware update (20080125 2). Thank you SageTV for what is now a "perfect" setup for me.
I updated the firmware today and now I usually can't play *any* imported video files, whether they're divx, xvid or H.264. What version of Sage are you running? I haven't moved to the RC, so I'm still on 6.3.5.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
I updated the firmware today and now I usually can't play *any* imported video files, whether they're divx, xvid or H.264. What version of Sage are you running? I haven't moved to the RC, so I'm still on 6.3.5.
Sorry to hear your having troubles. I'm running SageTV V6.3.5.159, Java version 1.6.0_03, SageMC STV 6.3.6b. All my Xvid\Divix are now working but I haven't tried any H.264 on Sage. I've had too many issues in the past getting a single .h264 format to work across all my devices so I stopped trying and went to Divx\Xvid or WMV9.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Sage Icon

Just want to check, the extender can not current output AAC 5.1 correct? Only downmix to 2.0 PCM? And is this something that will change later on possibly, or not possible with the extender hardware? Just trying to figure out how I want to encode my 5.1 audio, as well as checking to see why my 5.1/H264 Apple trailers are in 2.0 stereo.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
SageTVaholic

What do you mean by "output", nothing can output AAC, S/PDIF only supports DD or DTS. But no, the extender doesn't transcode AAC to 5.1 DD.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Sage Icon

I meant playback 5.1 channels if the source is AAC 5.1. So I guess for encoding of MPEG-2 files into another format, my best choice would be just to mux in the AC3 stream right?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
I meant playback 5.1 channels if the source is AAC 5.1. So I guess for encoding of MPEG-2 files into another format, my best choice would be just to mux in the AC3 stream right?
Yes. I use H.264 (x264) with AC3 for my movies.

Robert