SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can recreate this problem 100% of the time using Sage 6.3.10. If I tune to the discovery channel near a program change time the next program on the same channel will be black for the first 4 to 5 minutes. I use a network encoder which is a DVB app on another PC. If I watch the DVB app the video works fine. I did notice the file name that Sage is recording does not change. That is, into the new program the file name is still that of the old program. It's not until the file name changes to the new program that Sage starts to play video. I've tried changing the always_autotune and fast_mux settings with no effect. I'd like to try Qian's fix but I don't know what to call the .par file or if it even applies to network encoders. My tuners are names like "DVB-S on yavin4:6970 TV Tuner". I experienced the same loss of 5 minutes when I used Sage as the network encoders but at the time I thought it might have been my DVB recievers so I didn't dig into it. Hopefully a solution can be found soon.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Sage Icon

I tried to tune into Dancing w/ the Stars last night. Sat on a black screen for about 45sec then hit Stop. Screen went back to the guide and I hit play again. Show came right up. This was about 10min past the hour. Good thing is I do have logging turned on. Just have to go through them. there's also a 'soft' lockup logging hopefully caught. Power button on remote still worked though.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I have had this problem on occasion as well but I really have not tried too hard to find the solution. Narflex might have nailed it in this post.
This sounds like exactly the error I'm having. The five minute issue always occurs when the "file write" error happens. I'll try this fix tonight and report back.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshiek View Post
I created the 2 .par files using a text editor like Notepad with the one line, "delay 800" in both. I also upgraded the HDHR to 20080307. Today's testing worked fine without any problems. I was able to record 2 shows simultaneously. I will continue to test. Thanks!
After 4 more days of testing, I have not been able to reproduce the error.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
This sounds like exactly the error I'm having. The five minute issue always occurs when the "file write" error happens. I'll try this fix tonight and report back.
I tried this last night and didn't have the error. I'll watch it another day or two before declaring victory, but so far so good. I usually get this error several times per day.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does anyone know if this fix applies to network encoders? How would I name a .par file with my encoder named "DVB-S on yavin4:6970 TV Tuner" ? I have 3 network encoders all named "DVB-S" for each server.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
SageTVaholic

I think this only applies to the HDHR for the .par file solution.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

OK thanks. I think I'm going to have to submit a bug report to get some action on this.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

Okay this is a stupid voice from the Peanut Gallery....

Way up here....

You guys, of course, have defragged your hard drives, right?

I was having "the missing first couple of minutes problem" last week until I defragged my hard drive.

Okay, I'll be quiet now
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Cased closed for me. My problem was always associated with "ERROR (-3,0x80070020)" (file-write problem) and the Narflex fix posted on 03/17/2008 took care of it. The five-minute problem is gone and all recordings are now starting on time.

This was one of two problems that have prevented me from completing my switch from Windows MCE to SageTV. This brought a big increase in WAF and gets me a step closer. Thank you Sage support for your help on this one.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Glad to hear you got things sorted out. What version of WMP are you running? I checked my services and the WMP library sharing service is not installed or running. I've submitted a bug report. Hopefully they can figure something out.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariJeff View Post
Glad to hear you got things sorted out. What version of WMP are you running?
I'm running WMP 11.0.

You might also want to check the Library>>More Options>>Library>>Monitor Folders menu/tabs in WMP. In my case it was set to monitor the My Documents folder, which included my SageTV folder. It appeared to me that monitoring might be occurring even with sharing turned off, in which case it would still cause the error. I'm not sure if this was actually the case, but I got rid of all the monitored folders just in case.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Upon install of 6.3.10, I got and followed the setup wizard when I first launched SageTV.

When the tuner dialog reached the place where it tries to tune a channel in a small 'preview' window to the right, I get black screen and white static (e.g. not tuned) in the window instead of a good picture. Changing channels by using the up/down arrows didn't tune the channel.

I backed up in the dialog and re-selected the tuner. This time it tuned in the preview window. I moved on to the second tuner and the same thing, it did not tune the first time, I backed up and selected it again and it tuned the channel properly. (I have Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 dual tuner card, both are analog tuners hooked directly to analog cable, no set top box or IR blaster or anything else involved.)

This has happened to me only with version 6.3.10. I uninstalled SageTV, deleted the program files directory, cleaned registry, reinstalled my tuner drivers, and installed SageTV from scratch again, keeping only my WIZ.BIN file from previous installations. Always with 6.3.10 SageTV will not tune those tuners when they are first being set up. 6.3.9 and previous all had no trouble.

So far (knock on wood) all recordings have been complete and nothing is missing. But I wonder if this might be related to the same issue being discussed here. Thoughts?

Thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
Upon install of 6.3.10, I got and followed the setup wizard when I first launched SageTV.

When the tuner dialog reached the place where it tries to tune a channel in a small 'preview' window to the right, I get black screen and white static (e.g. not tuned) in the window instead of a good picture. Changing channels by using the up/down arrows didn't tune the channel.

I backed up in the dialog and re-selected the tuner. This time it tuned in the preview window. I moved on to the second tuner and the same thing, it did not tune the first time, I backed up and selected it again and it tuned the channel properly. (I have Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 dual tuner card, both are analog tuners hooked directly to analog cable, no set top box or IR blaster or anything else involved.)

This has happened to me only with version 6.3.10. I uninstalled SageTV, deleted the program files directory, cleaned registry, reinstalled my tuner drivers, and installed SageTV from scratch again, keeping only my WIZ.BIN file from previous installations. Always with 6.3.10 SageTV will not tune those tuners when they are first being set up. 6.3.9 and previous all had no trouble.

So far (knock on wood) all recordings have been complete and nothing is missing. But I wonder if this might be related to the same issue being discussed here. Thoughts?

Thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
I doubt if this thread has anything to do with your issue. Since you had to use the setup wizard, I suspect that you probably selected the wrong input source for the PVR 500. You should go into the Sage system Information and look at the configured input details. It should show Cable or Antenna for the PVR 500. You might also want to check for new drivers at the Hauppauge site.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
I doubt if this thread has anything to do with your issue. Since you had to use the setup wizard, I suspect that you probably selected the wrong input source for the PVR 500. You should go into the Sage system Information and look at the configured input details. It should show Cable or Antenna for the PVR 500. You might also want to check for new drivers at the Hauppauge site.
No, none of the above applies... The only reason I use the setup wizard is because I don't install SageTV new versions as upgrades over the existing version. I always uninstall the old one, wipe the programs directory and registry and start a clean install, providing only the WIZ.BIN from previous version. I do this because I have some customizations I like to use, and I prefer to add them in from scratch to a new version. It's just my preference to do it this way.

I am also running the current drivers from the Hauppauge site for this tuner card.

The issue of SageTV not being able to tune these on the first try is unique to 6.3.10. I uninstalled as mentioned above, and put back on 6.3.9 as a test --and it tunes the cards immediately as did every SageTV I've used prior to 6.3.10. Uninstalled 6.3.9 and put 6.3.10 back on and it doesn't tune the cards on the first try.

--pseudonym
Old 03-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
No, none of the above applies... The only reason I use the setup wizard is because I don't install SageTV new versions as upgrades over the existing version. I always uninstall the old one, wipe the programs directory and registry and start a clean install, providing only the WIZ.BIN from previous version. I do this because I have some customizations I like to use, and I prefer to add them in from scratch to a new version. It's just my preference to do it this way.

I am also running the current drivers from the Hauppauge site for this tuner card.

The issue of SageTV not being able to tune these on the first try is unique to 6.3.10. I uninstalled as mentioned above, and put back on 6.3.9 as a test --and it tunes the cards immediately as did every SageTV I've used prior to 6.3.10. Uninstalled 6.3.9 and put 6.3.10 back on and it doesn't tune the cards on the first try.

--pseudonym
You should contact Sage support. My PVR 500 works fine with the 6.3.10 release.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

As per Sage support I set seeker/fast_mux_switch to false and the problem seems to have been solved
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
You should contact Sage support. My PVR 500 works fine with the 6.3.10 release.
Yes I am going to fill out a support request after running debug during the setup wizard. This is 100% re-createable so perhaps they will spot something for me.

Thanks and regards,
--pseudonym
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage User

Similar Problem with HDHR

I've tried watching TV with the HDHR while the show is playing. When I first attempt to watch the show I get the "No Signal" message. If I press stop and then select the channel again the show comes in fine. If I then record that channel and try to watch a different channel (using a different HDHR encoder) I get the same No Signal problem. If I stop and tune again it comes in fine.

Now, if I look at the HDHR lights in the front when the problem occurs, I notice all the lights are off. When I tune to a channel twice the light comes on to indcate it is in use.

What I think is happening is the HDHR is in some sort of sleep state. The HDHR monitor utiltity shows no channel tuned when this problem happens. If I were to use HDHR's gui application and watch a program using VLC, and then stop VLC y and try it in SageTV, it tunes to the channel without the No Signal message.

Can anyone else verify this? I am using the latest SageTV and HDHR software.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Sage Advanced User

6.3.10 so far I have not had the 5 min missing problem again, hoping it is solved, but sometimes I have gone months without the problem. The timeline is still messed up sometimes, but not on all the shows. Never had that problem until HDTV...I think it may only be the 1080i shows...messes up commercial skip...

Nick