SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

what might the STX-HD100's usb ports be used for?

If the STX-HD100 had USB-UIRT support in conjunction with Dirk's (flachbar) Sleep Timer STVi, a connected TV and receiver could be switched off/put into standy mode automatically.

Any other ideas out there?
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

An (HD) DVD or Blu-ray drive would be nice. I don't expect that to happen though really.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
I'd be happy with a plain ol' regular DVD-ROM drive. It would save me a component or HDMI port on my TV.

Robert
Old 02-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll probably be kicked by Opus for this but it would be nice to have a wireless keyboard.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

The problem with supporting a DVD, Bluray or HD-DVD drive through the STX-HD100 would be the licensing to be able to decrypt. Otherwise it would be fairly useless to most people not being able to play store-bought movies.

However, a keyboard would be nifty.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
The problem with supporting a DVD, Bluray or HD-DVD drive through the STX-HD100 would be the licensing to be able to decrypt. Otherwise it would be fairly useless to most people not being able to play store-bought movies.
I just logged in to edit my post above to say the same thing. I just thought of that. Oh well, scratch that idea!

Robert
Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage Expert

You know, I just wonder why the heck the ports are only is on the front panel and no port in the back. I mean what kind of permanently attached perriferal would you want to have connected with cables sticking out of the front panel in your AV cabinet. I think it will be eventually used for upload of photos to the server from USB keys and camera (connect, upload, disconnect)
Old 02-05-2008, 06:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
You know, I just wonder why the heck the ports are only is on the front panel and no port in the back. I mean what kind of permanently attached perriferal would you want to have connected with cables sticking out of the front panel in your AV cabinet. I think it will be eventually used for upload of photos to the server from USB keys and camera (connect, upload, disconnect)
I agree.

I was thinking that if there was a permanently attached peripheral that could be used, I would consider making use of all of that extra space inside the extender by adding a USB hub internally. Then I'd add a couple of extra USB ports out the back. Of course that's assuming my wife doesn't tackle me as I'm trying to disconnect it.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastafidli View Post
I agree it makes no sense to put the ports on the front if they'll ever be used for anything other than temporary connections. I hope they'll be able to support something more useful than a USB key, but if it does then it wasn't a very good design choice.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
I just logged in to edit my post above to say the same thing. I just thought of that. Oh well, scratch that idea!

Robert
But this would be a pretty secure path... it would probably be difficult to get a ripping ap to run on this hardware.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:04 PM
SageTVaholic

For technical and copy-protection reasons, I don't think we'll ever see CD/DVD/blu-ray drives connecting to this thing. I think only a few things really make sense: 1) temporary storage devices (e.g. usb keys), 2) input devices (like a wireless keyboard), and 3) a wireless adapter. Besides an optical drive, I don't see why you'd want to permanently attach a storage device to the extender- it makes more sense to connect such things to the server. A USB wireless adapter might be nice, and in that case you'd probably rather have USB ports on the back, but its probably easier to use some sort of bridge or "gaming adapter".

Probably all we'll ever see is USB drive support where you'd be able to view photos or play music/videos. And really, that's probably enough (although, I agree a wireless keyboard would be useful).
Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Sage Icon

IR receiver, so the actual extender could be put behind a wallmounted plasma itself and be totally hidden. Don't need USB for that, but consider this a feature request
Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

^^ I have one in the kitchen, If I could put the HD100 in a cabinet with the IR reciever by the TV that would be ideal.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would love to be able to throw recordings onto my video ipod from it.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM
SageTVaholic

I find these ports interesting as well. Why would Sage go through the cost of engineering, development, and production of these ports unless they planned on using them in the foreseeable future? And why are they on the front instead of the back? To upload pictures off a USB stick? Seems like a great expense for a small feature. To attach a KB/mouse/joystick/controller? Maybe, if they plan on making a version that does not require a SageTV server or maybe plan on making it into a gaming console.

Many people have conjectured about using these ports to get data into the STX-HD100. Is there a possibility they could be used to get data/video out and into another device?

There must be something we are missing, I can only hope it is a "wow! that is really cool - I wonder why I never thought about that before" kind of thing.

Another explanation is that the STX-HD100 was already developed (by somebody else) and it was cheaper to leave the design unchanged rather than take the USB ports out.

These ports aren't there for good looks, they either have a planned use or were simply leftover from another design.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm putting my money on using it to connect one of the component HD capture devices that are on the horizon...
Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Another explanation is that the STX-HD100 was already developed (by somebody else) and it was cheaper to leave the design unchanged rather than take the USB ports out.

These ports aren't there for good looks, they either have a planned use or were simply leftover from another design.
This is probably true. I imagine whatever chipset is used in the device supports USB.

Robert
Old 02-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Remember the first Linksys and HP Extenders for MCE? Those had usb ports but were never used. This could be the same case with the Sage Extender.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

My guess is that it was an existing design and the most likely possible use in the future is for USB keys.

S
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex View Post
I'm putting my money on using it to connect one of the component HD capture devices that are on the horizon...
Why wouldn't you just plug it into the server as the data would have to be stored on the server? Otherwise, the best you would get with the usb encoder would be Live Tv.

How about opening the USB ports for touchscreen monitors.. (I saw touch screens being discussed elsewhere and this popped in my head)