SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

STX-HD100 Random Playback Problems with "some" h.264 recordings from HD-PVR

Hello all,

I am experiencing some random playback issues with some h.264 recoding files captured via a Hauppauge HD-PVR.

The problem ....

Some recordings play back with what looks like stuttering or frames being dropped. Rather than fluid consistent movement from actors and motion on screen, it looks like several frames are being dropped and the motion on screen is choppy and jagged. The playing frame rate never seems to get better or worse, so it is plays with this consistent behavior for the duration of the entire recording. Pausing, FFWD, REW does not help. The video and audio are in sync, there are just missing video frames that make watching the program very annoying.

This issue seems random because most recordings HD and SD all record and playback perfectly; however, about 1 or 2 recordings per week end up with this playback issue described above. It has happened on different programs and different channels.

Troubleshooting ....

Ok, first I thought that the media file was encoded from the HD-PVR incorrectly, but I can go to my SageTV server and the playback on the SageTV Client on the computer is perfect?

Next, I tried the problematic recording on a second STX-HD100 media extender box and the same flawed playback is also exhibited on the second extender.

So this leads me to believe that the recording is OK since it plays back perfectly on the SageTV Client on the computer and that the HD100 must have some issue with the file since it demonstrates the same issues on two separate units.

I also thought maybe the problem was originating from one of my HD-PVR units, but after monitoring the problem for a few weeks, it has occurred on a recording from both of my HD-PVR units. I have not (yet) seen this problem happen on any OTA/ATSC recordings.

Settings/Versions ...

Recordings are all in 1080i @ h.264 Great Quality from 1 of 2 Hauppauge HD-PVR encoders. I have Motorola UVerse STB's fixed to always output 1080i.

2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR Driver Version: 1.0.3.47
2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR Hardware Rev: REV C
SageTV Version: 6.4.8.184
Java SE Version: 1.6.0_07
2 @ Sage STX-HD100 Extender Firmware: 200808120 (latest)

other details about my setup are in my signature.

Plea ...

I love my SageTV system and most recordings are perfectly fine and playback on my 52" LCD in absolutely astonishing HD glory. There is just this one issue I need to get resolved to attain utter HD & PVR bliss. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? Does anybody know a solution or work-around to correct this issue?

I have not yet submitted a trouble ticket to Sage, I wanted to come to the community first to see if there is already a fix for this. I will submit this if there is not already a fix or known workaround available.

Thank You for your help,
shadeBlue
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Have you installed the HD-PVR driver update in the hardware forum's sticky about that?

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Have you installed the HD-PVR driver update in the hardware forum's sticky about that?

- Andy
Hi Andy,

No I have not done that upgrade yet. I had read that discussion thread earlier on and read about the several people who were having less stable performance after the upgrade. With these reports and the fact that I do not yet need 5.1 audio, I did not upgrade. I see now that there are some posts that discuss some similar video issues, so I guess it is time to break down, cross my fingers, and try the latest HD-PVR drivers.

Thanks, shadeBlue
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

i have the same issues and i am running the latest drivers. recordings are 99% of the time fine, but playback suffers on the hd100. either it stutters with no audio, or pauses for 2-3 seconds sometimes while playing live tv
Gaming Rig:Q6600 Quad O/C to 2.8ghz, 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Geforce 8600GTS
Misc: Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver, Netgear Pro Safe 16port Gig Switch, Cat6 cabling, Linksys WRT54G running tomato firmware
Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am seeing this behaviour as well. I upgraded today to the latest firmware in the extender. Videos play fine but I do see the choppy frame about every 5 seconds. Makes it hard to watch a high motion video like a hockey game or Indy car racing where there is a lot going on.

Running SageTV Service -- latest load and a single HD100 watching recordings from an HD-PVR.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeblue.com View Post
Hello all,

Some recordings play back with what looks like stuttering or frames being dropped. Rather than fluid consistent movement from actors and motion on screen, it looks like several frames are being dropped and the motion on screen is choppy and jagged. The playing frame rate never seems to get better or worse, so it is plays with this consistent behavior for the duration of the entire recording. Pausing, FFWD, REW does not help. The video and audio are in sync, there are just missing video frames that make watching the program very annoying.

This issue seems random because most recordings HD and SD all record and playback perfectly; however, about 1 or 2 recordings per week end up with this playback issue described above. It has happened on different programs and different channels.
Exact same problem. About one in twenty HDPVR recordings. I also see it once in a while while watching live TV upon switching to a new HDPVR channel. In that case I just switch off and back on the channel to correct. Happens with both HDPVR's and both HD100's.

I have not updated the HDPVR yet either. You go first!!!

Edit: I updated the HDPVR driver. I will advise as to the results. Since the problem is intermittent it may take some time to be sure.

Rich

Last edited by dadof4; 10-28-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Sage User

Same problem here as well. I reported this to Sage as well as sending them a recording that had this issue and was told that it was most likely a HD-PVR bug and to install the new drivers. I have not however since the new drivers seems to have "issues". Still seems like more of a HD100 issue to me since that is the only client that cannot play them properly.

btw, you can 'fix' these files by manually transcoding them to MPEG2, which I have done using the ArcSoft encoders that came with the HD-PVR along with GraphEdit. At high bit rates I can't really see any difference (for SD recordings) once transcoded.

Edit: I have the lastest HD100 firmware installed.

david
Old 11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
Exact same problem. About one in twenty HDPVR recordings. I also see it once in a while while watching live TV upon switching to a new HDPVR channel. In that case I just switch off and back on the channel to correct. Happens with both HDPVR's and both HD100's.

I have not updated the HDPVR yet either. You go first!!!

Edit: I updated the HDPVR driver. I will advise as to the results. Since the problem is intermittent it may take some time to be sure.

Rich
Since updating the driver I have not seen the problem. It has been one week. The update appears to have corrected it. Prior to updating it would have manifested itself several times within a one week span.