SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Sage Icon

Sage with Windows Home Server

Hi

Can anyone give me their feedback on running the Windows Home Server version of Sage?

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering chaning from a W2K3 server that's currently running Sage and our home's LAN to WHS and was wondering if anyone had trouble (or good thinigs) to say about sageTV with WHS

I'll be using 2x HDHomeRuns and one PVR-250

thanks

Stacy
Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell View Post
Hi

Can anyone give me their feedback on running the Windows Home Server version of Sage?

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering chaning from a W2K3 server that's currently running Sage and our home's LAN to WHS and was wondering if anyone had trouble (or good thinigs) to say about sageTV with WHS

thanks

Stacy
Sage on WHS can be summed up in 2 words... Rock Solid
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 03-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'll second that. And the ability to add storage on the fly just can't be beat! If you're going to run a server anyway, SageTV for WHS is the way to go. There can be some capture card driver issues, but the devices you list have been proven on the platform.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it
Capture: 1 x HDHR (Both tuning QAM); 1 x HD-PVR C2 (Component to Moto DCH-3200 - Channel change via Firewire);
Extenders: 2 x STX-HD100; 1 x HD-300 (Panny G20 50" Plasma, Sony 32" LCD, Sammy 26 " LCD)
Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Sage User

Question Best Set up???

I am very interested in running Sage on my WHS. I was even thinking about building one from scratch to add TV as an option.This should allow me to record to the server and send the shows out to all the rooms that have access to the sage client?

I was thinking about using the ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner (do they still make an internal version)?

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/11564

I really only use basic cable and a few local HD channels. I am currently using Comcast and would like to dump the box, but I am open to suggestions. What hardware set-ups do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited by TwistedTweaker; 03-25-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hi

thanks

Stacy
I do not record TV but do have Sage on my WHS and it works great serving up content on my shares to my Sage HD200.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

I am also loving this setup. I have one HDHR, a PVR-250 and a HVR-1600. The only thing I have any issues with is the HVR-1600.

Stability is very good, it only ever reboots on updates, keeps my other machines backed up, and I have Cobian Backup running to backup my SageTV directory.

I had to reinstall a few times at the beginning to get things correct (64k blocks in the pool, etc.), so I documented the process and can now get the system completely redone from scratch in a few hours.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via MSN to ghostlobster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTweaker View Post
I am very interested in running Sage on my WHS. I was even thinking about building one from scratch to add TV as an option.This should allow me to record to the server and send the shows out to all the rooms that have access to the sage client?

I was thinking about using the ATI TV Wonder™ Digital Cable Tuner (do they still make an internal version)?

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/11564

I really only use basic cable and a few local HD channels. I am currently using Comcast and would like to dump the box, but I am open to suggestions. What hardware set-ups do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Sean
That won't work..it's for Vista MC only and on OEM machine only.
Client 2 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, ATI HD2400 Pro
Client 3 - Athlon 4200 x2, 1 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT

Raleigh Computer Repair
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangriotis View Post
I am also loving this setup. I have one HDHR, a PVR-250 and a HVR-1600. The only thing I have any issues with is the HVR-1600.

Stability is very good, it only ever reboots on updates, keeps my other machines backed up, and I have Cobian Backup running to backup my SageTV directory.

I had to reinstall a few times at the beginning to get things correct (64k blocks in the pool, etc.), so I documented the process and can now get the system completely redone from scratch in a few hours.
Thanks for the reply.... would you mind posting your document?

I've got a W2K3 server running now with Sage, but I think it's somewhat unstable. Every 5 or 6 days Sage just stops working and I have to restart.

I've got a 500GB main drive and 2x 1TB drives for Sage (full of recordings).

I need to figure out how o properly migrate all this over to WHS with a minimum of downtime and no headaches....

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 11:57 PM
Sage User

Question I am loosing you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post
That won't work..it's for Vista MC only and on OEM machine only.
I am loosing you...so there is no way to record TV (visible to Sage) on a machine that is running WHS?

Last edited by TwistedTweaker; 03-26-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedTweaker View Post
I am loosing you...so there is no way to record TV (visible to Sage) on a machine that is running WHS?
What ghostlobster means is, that card will not work with sagetv.

Please look at the Hauppage cards and/or an HD homerun.

Also, please go to the hardware section and do a search for WHS or Windows home server. There were three threads just today about WHS setups.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.... would you mind posting your document?

I've got a W2K3 server running now with Sage, but I think it's somewhat unstable. Every 5 or 6 days Sage just stops working and I have to restart.

I've got a 500GB main drive and 2x 1TB drives for Sage (full of recordings).

I need to figure out how o properly migrate all this over to WHS with a minimum of downtime and no headaches....

Thanks
I am afraid it won't be much help to you. It's less of a document, and more of a list of tasks to get the machine back to where it was... I don't have it with me right now. Also, I started from scratch with no recordings (i.e. blank HDDs). Migrating them will be a PITA (if you even have the room to do that).

Basically, it inlcudes all relevant product keys, drive configurations, device filenames and the order to install them (very specific to my hardware) in one place. Something like this:

1. Hook everything up like this xxx.
2. Install WHS - and DiskManager Add-in
3. Install chipset, SATA, video, audio, hauppauge, HDHR drivers
4. Change IP to x.x.x.x
5. HDHR channel lineup should be xxx:
6. YAC and YACasService.msi
7. Install Sage Add-in - stop service
8. Copy last backup of ./SageTV folder over new installation
9. Restart service

Wow - The fact that I still remember most of the steps tells you how many times I did this...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

WHS is great! I haven't had a single crash or had to reboot (except for system updates) since I went to it.

My advice is to install WHS and run *all* the updates before installing the Connection software on your clients. When you install WHS it goes through a number of reboots and after awhile you get a screen that tells you that it's okay to disconnect your monitor, keyboard, etc. and to install the Connection software on a client. Close out that screen and run all the updates right from your server. It took me six installs/reinstalls to figure that out and achieve a stable install.

I still have to manually reinstall the Connection software on each of my clients when WHS updates which is a minor pain but doable.

Once you get the server software up and running and go to install drivers you will probably need to run the install programs in XP mode. Sometimes you'll have to drill down on the driver CD to find individual setup programs for motherboard drivers (like I did for my ASUS mobo).

Do some reading in the Hardware forum and you'll figure out the best way for you to install WHS.

Clients: HD200, HD300, Win7 Desktop

Capture Devices: Hauppauge Colossus & 1 HDHR, TV Service: Verizon FIOS
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Once you get the server software up and running and go to install drivers you will probably need to run the install programs in XP mode. Sometimes you'll have to drill down on the driver CD to find individual setup programs for motherboard drivers (like I did for my ASUS mobo).
This is completely contrary to everything I've ever done. I ALWAYS download the latest drivers from either the manufacturer's site or from whoever else (nvidia, Realtek, etc). The drivers provided with the products are generally seriously out of date. It's usually much better to go get the latest versions before beginning.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Sage User

Quote:
WHS is great! I haven't had a single crash or had to reboot (except for system updates) since I went to it.
Do you have any issues streaming live TV to your HTPC from WHS?

Have you had any luck streaming LARGE MT2S files? We have had no luck with 30Gig files....but they play fine on the HTPC. They just freeze when we attempt to stream them from the HP MediaSmart server.

Thanks,

Sean
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Sage Icon

So, I installed WHS on a test machine and installed Sage.

Is there no way to run sage as a service on WHS? I just remember clear back to V2.x of Sage how flakey it was until they came out with the service mode and have been running it that way ever since....

stacy
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

You need to install the WHS version of Sage (*.msi) via the Add-Ins component of the WHS Console. This will start Sage as a service that can be started and stopped through the console...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
My advice is to install WHS and run *all* the updates before installing the Connection software on your clients. When you install WHS it goes through a number of reboots and after awhile you get a screen that tells you that it's okay to disconnect your monitor, keyboard, etc. and to install the Connection software on a client. Close out that screen and run all the updates right from your server. It took me six installs/reinstalls to figure that out and achieve a stable install.
Yes, I forgot this extremely important step... you MUST update WHS. Prior to updates, my free space calculations (the disk bar) in Sage was all screwed up and created a mess for me. I think it downloaded 58 updates for me (and several reboots as mentioned).
Old 03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Sage Icon

So, how does one format the WHS server drives for 64K Clusters, as Sage recommends?

I've been all over WHS and cannot find it to save my life.

Thanks

Stacy
Old 03-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used Acronis Drive manager to create and format the 64K cluster and then setup shares to the drive. I did not let WHS import the drive into the storage pool.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Sage Icon

Hmmm.... interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' respose to this question.

So you're using the WHS "pool" for normal files (photos, music, etc) but using a completely dedicated disk(s) for Sage without WHS managing the pool.

I guess you're not going to turn on duplication and you certainly don't want to back it up.