SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

java does null for you automatically though.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

It generates errors in Studio so if I want to extend the good work you did I have to turn off the "Halt on Error" feature, which I do not like to do.

What I was thinking about doing (feel free to do it yourself) is make the fanart also show up when I choose to use the Malore menus. My kids and wife are hooked on that format so there is NO WAY I will switch them to a new UI right now. I'd like to use the V7 STV but use the old malore menus for TV recordings. All of the malore stuff is still in there, so it should just be a matter if importing the old Phoenix fanart for the Default into an STV that has your updates applied.

I also really like Tiki's "BMTTools" (that I also slightly extended) so ultimately I'd lile to see it all rolled up into one STVi.

And don't forget music and imported videos, phoenix works for that too.

Phoenix Fanart for Everything!

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Imported Videos already has it with this plugin. I've never messed with music fanart, I might give it a try.....

I suspect that someone will create an import similar to BMTTools for V7 - it's not something I'm keen to do though!

I'll put those initial values in with the next update. But malore will have to wait for now - at least on my part.

btl.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM
SageTVaholic

OK, then if you don't object I will look into making a STVi that builds on what you have done but extends the fanart to the malore menus.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Not a problem.

btl.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Done. I just submitted it to Sage so it should show up soon.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hey guys, great work on this plugin... quick question... I don't seem to get any fanart in folder view, running v7.

when I'm in titles view, i get the cover pictures, when I'm in folder view I just get the screenshot of the first frame of the movie or whatever... any idea how to fix this?

fwiw, running v6 and sagemc gave me cover images in folder view...

cheers!
Old 05-23-2010, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bialio View Post
Yeah, when you tell it to scale it maxes out the CPU on the server and will keep it maxed until it's done. You can watch the /cache directory in the install folder to see if it's making progress or not - but you definetly shouldn't be doing this while recording or trying to use the system at all. I'll add some notes to that effect in the first post, but I think I might remove the option all together in the next release - I'm beginning to suspect the performance gains aren't that much.

The text from the wall view will disappear all by itself, you won't have to do anything.
btl.
Bailo what are you scaling the backgrounds or the covers or both?

I would not get rid of the scalings if it is the covers. If you turn backgroundloading on The covers I fond it too kill the experience as the extender is bloody slow at loading them. If it isjust backgrounds ie one image I find it does okay. Anyways if you haven't read the mymovies thread that is what brought me over here and you can see my thoughs/ findings on scaling. Just wanted to share with you what I found to happen.

Cheers

ps the default video view should look like yours.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:36 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm just scaling the backgrounds. I tried the backgrounds just using the background loading. It didn't cause any trouble with the navigation response, but it was just so slow. The default UI uses a very small background image - 245 pixels wide on the extender! Scaling down too that from 1920 is just painful.

btl.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm just scaling the backgrounds. I tried the backgrounds just using the background loading. It didn't cause any trouble with the navigation response, but it was just so slow. The default UI uses a very small background image - 245 pixels wide on the extender! Scaling down too that from 1920 is just painful.

btl.
What did you find slow just how long it took to load the bg or just scrolling in general? Did you put a fade in time on the background?

Also I found it useful to still load a blank when scrolling and then load the other after a certian time of unactivity on a item. Really helps scrolling much like I mentioned earlier with serenity for sagemc in the studio thread. I find that still to be necessary in v7 and helps scrolling allot.

ont his view for instance
Poster

i don't scale the backgrounds at all even thought hey are small. With one image it just wasnt really much need. I do however scale the posters to pixel size needed.

Where are you doing your scaling are you passing an array or doing them one by one in the ui section? I would recomend moving it to a forked thread before menuload that should help with speed.

Also not tying to tell you what to do/how to code and hope you are not taking it that way. Just suggestioning and saying what I found works.

cheers
Old 05-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Sage User

While playing a video and browsing tv/movies I lose the fan art. If I stop the video fan art is back. Can anyone confirm this behavior on their setup?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

That is how it works - typically you should have the video that is playing in the spot where the fan art goes.....

btl.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Sage User

Ah, I was trying out the video as a background. It really makes the new ui standout having video as the background as opposed to the static images. Any chance this feature might make a future version?

One other oddity I've noticed, some fan art is getting confused. For instance Merlin shows fan art for SGU. I checked the fan art folder and the pics look right there. Is there a different spot the scaled images get saved that I can check?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
SageTVaholic

If you are using BMT that's probably confusing them. It's a known issue, I don't know if stuckless has ever gotten to the bottom of it.....

btl.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatchalov View Post
Hey guys, great work on this plugin... quick question... I don't seem to get any fanart in folder view, running v7.

when I'm in titles view, i get the cover pictures, when I'm in folder view I just get the screenshot of the first frame of the movie or whatever... any idea how to fix this?

cheers!
hey guys, any chance of getting an answer to this?? cheers
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
What did you find slow just how long it took to load the bg or just scrolling in general? Did you put a fade in time on the background?
I've never seen poor navigation - at least not with V7 and these mods. It's just the time it takes for the background image to show up that is slow - sometimes 3 or 4 seconds. With the backgrounds cached at the target resolution it's instant.

Quote:
Also I found it useful to still load a blank when scrolling and then load the other after a certian time of unactivity on a item. Really helps scrolling much like I mentioned earlier with serenity for sagemc in the studio thread. I find that still to be necessary in v7 and helps scrolling allot.
I've noticed this in some of the video clips - I'll probably try to fold that idea into Phoenix - but I'm not too keen on speeding up the default UI. It's no Phoenix

Quote:
I do however scale the posters to pixel size needed.
Do you scale posters for every conceivable size you might need? It seems like you'd have to have a few different sizes based on the grid size right? I haven't scaled the posters at all yet - just backgrounds. It takes the menu as pictured above a couple of seconds to load, and then there's about a 1 second delay the first time a new page is loaded (after hitting page down) - but after they are all loaded it's fairly responsive.

Thanks for the input! It's good to have these kind of tips floating in the back of ones mind.

btl.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkatchalov View Post

cheers!
I'll put support for folder view (in the TV screens) into the next release.

btl.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've never seen poor navigation - at least not with V7 and these mods. It's just the time it takes for the background image to show up that is slow - sometimes 3 or 4 seconds. With the backgrounds cached at the target resolution it's instant.
btl.
Yeah if you add a crossfade it helps the appearance some at least.

Quote:
I've noticed this in some of the video clips - I'll probably try to fold that idea into Phoenix - but I'm not too keen on speeding up the default UI. It's no Phoenix
understand completely, but I think i need to see phoenix to further understand what you mean

Quote:
Do you scale posters for every conceivable size you might need? It seems like you'd have to have a few different sizes based on the grid size right? I haven't scaled the posters at all yet - just backgrounds. It takes the menu as pictured above a couple of seconds to load, and then there's about a 1 second delay the first time a new page is loaded (after hitting page down) - but after they are all loaded it's fairly responsive.
Yeah the issue comes into no being able to cache enough in the extenders

Also no I don't scale every instance I take the largest pixel count I will use a said image in on covers and scale to that since there isn't a huge difference really from one view to the next. That way I know I am not at least super large on anything. (which I was before doing this)

Quote:
Thanks for the input! It's good to have these kind of tips floating in the back of ones mind.

btl.
no problem many people on here have helped me many of times without there input I wouldn't be where I am today (which is still basic )
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'll put support for folder view (in the TV screens) into the next release.

btl.
Actually, my question was specifically about folder view for movies, not TV... in folder view for movies, I dont get the fanart as my coverart, just the screenshot.

Will this (folder view for movies) be fixed in the next release?

thanks, appreciated!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Folder view for movies is already there. If it's not working for you then you might have an issue with your central fanart?

Version 0.1.9 is available now, which enables phoenix fanart in the folder view of TV screens.

btl.