SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Same here - I would like to buy a client license as an 'insurance' in case my HD300 dies (OK, let's make that 2 licenses - never know whether I would like a second client somewhere in the house at a later point).

Cheers,
teq
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage User

I would buy three licenses. And a couple of extenders!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would like a couple to be safe, or have any of the placeshifter licenses become client licenses and that includes hd200's an hd300's then they would not be selling but insuring that you can keep using what you already own if they break.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
SageTVaholic

If I could I would by a linux server (or 4) and 3 HD300s.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhoenix View Post
If I could I would by a linux server (or 4) and 3 HD300s.
Even if I was a Linux guru, I wouldn't go in for Linux server since from my readings, it uses an Activation server, unlike the Windows server software.

From my understandings, that means if you change your HW, and the Activation server is no longer available, you might be out of luck.

I may have it all wrong, but that is my understanding from what I have read.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

I would buy 3 additional client license and HD300's if i could.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Sage User

I need another HD300, and I'd like to get a placeshifter license for my laptop
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Even if I was a Linux guru, I wouldn't go in for Linux server since from my readings, it uses an Activation server, unlike the Windows server software.

From my understandings, that means if you change your HW, and the Activation server is no longer available, you might be out of luck.

True I was more expressing what my intentions were before the sale for sometime during the next 18 months. Since we can't get any of what I want it was just a wish.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would buy at least two HD300's and/or client licenses.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post

If you have a SageTV for Linux, make sure you take an image of it! The Linux imaging software is expensive, but Clonezilla works and it is free. I also have the Linux SageTV version, but I don't currently use it. If you have duplicate hardware, you can easily apply the Clonezilla to recover it, which is important if your system board dies. You can also test the image by applying the image to a 'test' hard drive to make sure you can recover. Don't test the recovery on the production hard drive, if it fails, you may be immediately done with SageTV. If you have problems with the Linux SageTV server, you need to recover, and the activation server no longer works, then you are immediately finished with SageTV. Imaging is especially important with Linux since no one might answer when it 'calls home' to activate!

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 08-10-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would want 3 licenses. I need them LAST MONTH. These are not back-up. However, seeing basic functionality like youtube break so easily and quickly makes me wonder if it would be good money thrown after bad.

When Sage made version 6 upgradable to 7 they did not increase license count... they really didn't change the licenses themselves. They could JUST as easily comment out the restriction on Client licenses but did not do it. My guess is because this would either *change* the nature of the current client licenses (a single unlimited license is different than individual client licenses) or it would increase license count... either way changing the nature of the license.

So I'm back to thinking that Jeff selling to google Google's tossing Sage (and all of us) in the trash bin heap of former great products killed by monopolies and greed. Screw current customers. But make it up in volume later. And for me it basically pushes me off to a Microsoft solution with xbox extenders. I haven't done it yet... but I'm pretty much resolved that I'll have to buy another machine for MS as my sage runs within WHS. I'm still hoping for a client solution... but I have no reason to hope. It is like hoping to win the lottery or hoping to find a $20 bill on the street.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:39 PM

I'd buy a client and an extender at this point. I love Sage. Glad they got a payday, but it would be nice to deliver on the original promise a little while longer if possible.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Sage User

I'd buy a Placeshifter and 2 more HD300's without flinching.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just to throw my name in the hat... I could definitely use another HD300 (likely 2 of them). As yet, I am unwilling to pay the $300-$350 they seem to be going for on ebay.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Sage Icon

Please also vote in the poll,

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56756

Show them the numbers!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Sage Expert

Sure is a long fight! Wonder how it's going. TKO?
Sage Mini Client on Amazon Fire Sticks and Android TVs
Old 09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Sage Icon

I think the silence over the last two months says it all: There is nothing else forthcoming for the SageTV platform. Might as well let this thread die. In the meantime wait until SaGoogle is announced and move to that if (Big IF) that has the features we all need. If it doesn't, well ...

S
Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
I think the silence over the last two months says it all: There is nothing else forthcoming for the SageTV platform. Might as well let this thread die. In the meantime wait until SaGoogle is announced and move to that if (Big IF) that has the features we all need. If it doesn't, well ...
then be glad that everything you already have still functions perfectly...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

I am glad and I will be sticking with Sage as long as I possibly can. I am also very glad I have 3 HD300's, 3 HD200's for backup, and 3 client licenses for double backup

Nevertheless, I wouldn't say it functions perfectly. Just better than anything else out there

Still, it's obvious that no more help with licenses or anything else is gonna happen. Time to let go of this thread.

S
Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Thought BTV was in my rear view!

I, too, am glad. Two weeks before SageTV shut down, I bought the V7 server software and three HD300s. I built a system just for this purpose with 4 tuners and 2TBs of storage. It is the best HTPC system I have ever seen. If Google does not come out with a similar product by the time the program guide quits working, I will have to go back to Beyond TV, at least for the recording part. I will continue to use the HD300s to play BTV programs, at least while they continue to work. That will give me enough time, I hope, to find a practical solution. (One I thought I had already found!)