SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Sage Expert

Some issues with the HD-PVR

Not sure if its sage, the drivers, or the device (I haven't yet upgraded the driver for the HD-PVR to the latest yet).

After leaving my machine (and sage) up for n-days (5-7), recordings and live tv stop working on the HD-PVR.

Its really bizarre, it just doesn't activate at all. .

If I shut down sage, cycle the power and the HD-PVR (sometimes the pc)
It fixes itself. . .

Anyone have any thoughts? I suppose I could just reboot every so often,but that's a bit annoying

Also, has anyone noticed that sometimes while watching Live TV (but delayed), the HD-PVR cycles power on its own? I end up with a small (usuallly 2-3 gap) in the recording. . . still works fine and saves the file
but its just weird. . .

Overheating maybe?
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

It happens to quite a few people. Usually all you have to do is power cycle the HD-PVR. I had the same issue myself, after about 3-7 days it would just stop working. I have RMA'd it, but haven't gotten it back yet.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

Search these forums for solutions to your issue. There are LOTS of posts in here already with suggestions of things to try and things that have helped solve problems with the HD-PVRs. There are too many to detail again here. But you'll find suggestions like:
  • Connect the HD-PVR to it's own USB bus
  • Update to the latest drivers
  • Set the "delay_to_wait_after_tuning" property to be 4000 or greater
  • Move it to a location where it's not on a heat source (e.g. STB)
  • Set your STB to a fixed output resolution (e.g. 720p)
  • Plug the HD-PVR into a timer to automatically power cycle it daily
  • Cover the IR Receiver on the front of the HD-PVR (if you're not using it to receive IR signals)
  • RMA it.

The biggest knob for me was covering the IR receiver. It took me from "lock-ups" several times per day on both of my HD-PVRs to one lock-up every 2-3 days on one and no lock-ups on the other. I just verified that the remaining issue is with something else in my set-up - not the HD-PVR. I was ready to RMA the one that was locking up, but decided to do a test first. I swapped HD-PVRs, leaving everything else in place. The issue did not move with the HD-PVR, but rather stayed with the STB. I think my issue is I had that STB also connected to my TV via HDMI. I unplugged that about 2 days ago. If this fixes my problem, that will be come another suggestion to add to the list above.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
Search these forums for solutions to your issue. There are LOTS of posts in here already with suggestions of things to try and things that have helped solve problems with the HD-PVRs. There are too many to detail again here. But you'll find suggestions like:
  • Connect the HD-PVR to it's own USB bus
  • Update to the latest drivers
  • Set the "delay_to_wait_after_tuning" property to be 4000 or greater
  • Move it to a location where it's not on a heat source (e.g. STB)
  • Set your STB to a fixed output resolution (e.g. 720p)
  • Plug the HD-PVR into a timer to automatically power cycle it daily
  • Cover the IR Receiver on the front of the HD-PVR (if you're not using it to receive IR signals)
  • RMA it.

The biggest knob for me was covering the IR receiver. It took me from "lock-ups" several times per day on both of my HD-PVRs to one lock-up every 2-3 days on one and no lock-ups on the other. I just verified that the remaining issue is with something else in my set-up - not the HD-PVR. I was ready to RMA the one that was locking up, but decided to do a test first. I swapped HD-PVRs, leaving everything else in place. The issue did not move with the HD-PVR, but rather stayed with the STB. I think my issue is I had that STB also connected to my TV via HDMI. I unplugged that about 2 days ago. If this fixes my problem, that will be come another suggestion to add to the list above.
Somebody should sticky this post along with URL's to the latest drivers. It would probably save alot of searching and cursing.

I can honestly say that the combination of RMA'ing my unit, covering the IR blaster, using the latest beta drivers (found on a 3rd party forum, not the hauppage site), and disconnecting the audio/video passthrough connections is what stabalized my HDPVR to the point that I can start trusting it.

-Striker-
Old 04-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Sage Expert

Well I'm already using a fixed resuotion on the STB (720p)
Its connected directly to USB on motherboard so that shouldn't be an issue
How would I go about auto-power cycling it? ( schedueld task? guess I should search? do you have a link?
I haven't covered the IR receiver (where is that on the HD-PVR?)
I also haven't set the delay_to_wait (i'll try that too)

It is setting on top of an STB, although there is a laptop cooling pad between it and the stb, and it doesn't seem like its that hot, don't really have anywhere else I can set it per se, but I could try. .

Can you provide a link to the beta drivers?

Also what do you mean by "disconnecting the audio/video passthrough connections"?
You mean the digital audio (which I'm not using anyway).
AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12 Core+HT, 64GB DDR5, GeForce 1060, MSI Prestige x570 Creation Mobo, SIIG 4 port Serial PCIe Card, Win10, 1TB M.2 SSD OS HDD, 1 URay HDMI Network Encoder, 3 HD-PVR, 4 DirecTV STB serial tuned

Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
How would I go about auto-power cycling it?
Others have suggested using something like a Christmas light timer. It's a device that is plugged directly into the electrical outlet and provides a receptacle for the HD-PVR power cord. You set off and on times at which it cuts and restores power to the HD-PVR. So you can set it to go off at sometime in the middle of the night and come on a minute later. This is an example, although this one is probably overkill since you don't need 7 day programming or several daily events. There are cheap mechanical ones that would work just fine.

Personally I do not use one of these, as I don't find it necessary. It seems like more of a band-aid to me than addressing the root cause. But it seems it may have helped some people. I think some people early on were using these to shut the HD-PVRs off for longer to give them a chance to cool down. But I don't think the latest Rev. units have heat issues much anymore. BTW, what Rev. is your HD-PVR? (I have 2 D2 units).

Quote:
I haven't covered the IR receiver (where is that on the HD-PVR?)
It's on the front of the unit just to the right of the Power button and LEDs. You can try just putting something in front of it initially to see if that helps. I cut out a square of black electrical tape to cover mine. It's not even noticeable.

Quote:
I also haven't set the delay_to_wait (i'll try that too)
This could already be set if you're using the latest Beta of SageTV. Sage finally set this value to 4000 as a default in a recent Beta release since most people were changing it anyway. This delay makes it such that the HD-PVR doesn't record the channel change - which is what seems to throw it for a loop. The upside is you also don't see the channel change at the beginning of your recording. I actually have mine set to 6000 (6 seconds). It takes a bit longer to change the channel, but it cuts off the annoying OSD popup from the DTV box.

Quote:
It is setting on top of an STB,... ...and it doesn't seem like its that hot
I actually have mine sitting atop my STBs as well, with some spacers to create more room for airflow. Moving mine off the STB didn't make a difference, but it has for some. The hot spot on the HD-PVR is on the bottom - so make sure you check there to gauge hotness. This one is probably more significant if you have an earlier revision HD-PVR.

Quote:
I'm not sure about Beta drivers. I'm using the latest from the Hauppauge support page here.

Quote:
Also what do you mean by "disconnecting the audio/video passthrough connections"?
He means the component outputs from the HD-PVR box. There are both component/audio inputs and outputs on the back of the HD-PVR. The unit captures what comes into the inputs, but it also passes it through to the outputs so you can run it directly to the TV. That way you can see/hear what's going into the HD-PVR without having to tune to it on the computer.

Last edited by 71_Cuda; 04-09-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
Somebody should sticky this post along with URL's to the latest drivers. It would probably save alot of searching and cursing.

I can honestly say that the combination of RMA'ing my unit, covering the IR blaster, using the latest beta drivers (found on a 3rd party forum, not the hauppage site), and disconnecting the audio/video passthrough connections is what stabalized my HDPVR to the point that I can start trusting it.

-Striker-
Did you notice any difference directly related to disconnecting the A/V passthrough? As I mentioned previously, I had HDMI connected from my STB to the TV instead of using the passthrough so I could directly view the STB output if needed. I now suspect that has been a source of my issues. I disconnected it, but planned to switch to the passthrough connections. I'll likely try it anyway (once I confirm the HDMI was my issue), but it concerns me to hear that the passthrough could cause issues as well.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
But I don't think the latest Rev. units have heat issues much anymore. BTW, what Rev. is your HD-PVR? (I have 2 D2 units).

Both my D2s have lock-ups, and ergo I believe them to have heat-related problems. I have noticed a difference in lock-up frequency depending on teh room temp and how I have them positioned on the shelf (best position is hanging half off the shelf so the right side has nothing underneath).

I think Hauppauge is negligent in not getting this issue fixed. Do they even have forums to discuss things like this?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Did you notice any difference directly related to disconnecting the A/V passthrough? As I mentioned previously, I had HDMI connected from my STB to the TV instead of using the passthrough so I could directly view the STB output if needed. I now suspect that has been a source of my issues. I disconnected it, but planned to switch to the passthrough connections. I'll likely try it anyway (once I confirm the HDMI was my issue), but it concerns me to hear that the passthrough could cause issues as well.
I gave up on the passthrough after I realized I was never using it anyway. I can't say it specifically made a difference as I did several things at once to simplify my setup and my HDPVR has been better ever since, so I make a point of mentioning it incase anyone else wishes to try.

That being said, I left all the passthrough cables connected to my TV (just not the HDPVR) so if there is ever a critical lockup, I can recable and be running live tv in a minute or less.

-Striker-
Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsean View Post

I'm referring to some beta drivers I found linked off another post on these forums. The link took me to another forum where they were available for download.

The original thread I found was this one:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...r+beta+drivers

And the link I used from that thread was this one:

http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=11880.0

-Striker-
Old 04-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
There are definetly STBs around that cut off their anlog outputs if a digital output (DVI/HDMI) is active. So yes, switching to HDMI live tv could cause problems on the analog side. But that is more of an issue of the STB, then it is for the HDPVR...
Old 04-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
After leaving my machine (and sage) up for n-days (5-7), recordings and live tv stop working on the HD-PVR.

Its really bizarre, it just doesn't activate at all. .

If I shut down sage, cycle the power and the HD-PVR (sometimes the pc)
It fixes itself. . .
I'm new to SageTV and built my system about two months ago. After plowing through MANY quirky problems, I am now to the point where my primary problem is exactly as you've described here; Sage and/or the HD-PVR just decide that they're not going to record anymore and I usually need to stop the Sage service and cycle power on the HD-PVR to get it working again. FWIW, here's what I've done so far:

- HD-PVR is a Rev. E1, I have it sitting by itself 'vertically' on a shelf and it runs cool. (I have a second Rev. D2 unit that died within days of installation and I'm currently waiting on the replacement unit).

- The HD-PVR is connected to a dedicated USB channel on the motherboard.

- The IR receiver is taped on the HD-PVR.

- I'm using 1.0.5.3 drivers for the HD-PVR (haven't read anything good about 1.0.5.4)

- The "delay_to_wait_after_tuning" is set to 4000.

- I'm using a USB-UIRT for channel changing.

- The STB is a Motorola DCT5100 (from Comcast)

I've got $3000 invested in this project (new 'overbuilt' server, 4 HD200's, 2 HD-PVR's, software, etc.) and I can't get it to work reliably for more than 24 hours. My wife keeps saying, "Was the DVR from Comcast THAT BAD that you had to build your own custom system and it STILL doesn't work?". Well, the Comcast DVR "IS" that bad, but I still don't have a working replacement.

I get a "small" amount of satisfaction from knowing that others are having the same problems, which leads me to believe that we're all just waiting for a bug fix from Hauppauge and/or SageTV. If it wasn't for this forum, I would have trashed this system long before now. Somebody please tell me that I just need to be a little more persistent and that a stable system is just around the corner (please!!).
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 2 HD-PVR’s (1.0.5.3) and 4 HD200’s
SOFTWARE: WHS with SageTV V6.5.14
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

You aren't kidding about overbuilt server. Two raptors? Let me know if anyone gets their HDPVRs working. Neither of mine can stay on more than a few hours anymore.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
There are definetly STBs around that cut off their anlog outputs if a digital output (DVI/HDMI) is active. So yes, switching to HDMI live tv could cause problems on the analog side. But that is more of an issue of the STB, then it is for the HDPVR...
Agreed. I mentioned in a previous post (#3) that the issue was with the rest of my setup - not the HD-PVR.

I think this is important to note and for others to consider. When I previously got a no record situation, I could power cycle the HD-PVR and restart the recording. So it seemed to me that it had to be the HD-PVR. But one time I decided to switch the TV over to the HDMI source before power cycling the HD-PVR, and it started recording immediately (once the STB came back to life).

So it's important to realize issues that seem to be related to the HD-PVR can in fact be something else.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just noticed (due to this post by Opus) that Hauppauge released a new Beta driver.

They mention "This release also fixes IR receive issues with third party applications." I wonder if this will eliminate the need to cover the IR receiver. Since I already have mine covered and it works, I'm not going to bother trying it out.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

I get a microstutter with the beta drivers....
Old 04-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_leach View Post
I've got $3000 invested in this project (new 'overbuilt' server, 4 HD200's, 2 HD-PVR's, software, etc.) and I can't get it to work reliably for more than 24 hours. My wife keeps saying, "Was the DVR from Comcast THAT BAD that you had to build your own custom system and it STILL doesn't work?". Well, the Comcast DVR "IS" that bad, but I still don't have a working replacement.
I share your pain. My steup was not that expensive but still substantial (including getting my house wired with Cat 5). Fortunately for me my wife is extremely forgiving on this stuff... if I were her I would have whacked me over the head by now.

I wish I had some answers, and I really wish there were a SageTV-like forum on the Hauppauge site. The Sage team is awesome responding to bugs and I wish Hauppauge would bother to do 1/10th of the same.

My lockups have become much less frequent lately (no idea why... I moved my server downstairs but the area is not cooler), but I still get too many glitches and little skips in my recordings.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Also, has anyone noticed that sometimes while watching Live TV (but delayed), the HD-PVR cycles power on its own? I end up with a small (usuallly 2-3 gap) in the recording. . . still works fine and saves the file
but its just weird. . .

Overheating maybe?
Again, now that I have the HD-PVR in the living room where I can see it, I see this behavior over-and-over.

Tonight I am going to switch from the AC3 recording back to stereo only and see what that does. In the past folks not using the digital sound reported much better results. I think it would stink not to get the 5.1 sound, but it would stink a lot less that to continue having all these problems.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Sage Expert

I'm only using stereo.
I haven't tried covering the IR blaster yet but it doesn't sound like that will matter.

I did change the delay_to_wait to 4000, and that seemed to help a bit but still get
the power cycling everyonce in a while and the occasional non-start.

Although I have the STB set to 720p exclusively, I'm wondering. . .maybe the power cycling blips in the resolution that are causing this problem? (ie. swtiching from commerical to normal programming and them having different fps or resolutions).

But the non-start wouldn't be that. . .

Either way I wouldn't go so far to say that its not usable at all, its just a bit annoying, enough that I can't use it for full time tv watching for everyone in the house. . .just me.

I'm using component from the STB directly to the HD-PVR, and not using a pass through.

Then from the computer I go HDMI to Pioneer Elite Receiver then out to TV.
Doubting highly this as anything to do with video card/tv setup since the STB is plugged direclty into the HD-PVR.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

hi,

one comment, one question

c: i put my hdpvr on their side for better air circulation. i also use a cheap usb fan plugged into the stb pointed at my 2 hdpvr's...........never have lockups here

q: where do i find this "delay_to_wait_after_tuning" parameter??

cheers

Last edited by cat6man; 04-14-2009 at 05:13 PM.