SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Sage Icon

How much of the Rio Olympics did you record?

This is the first Olympics that I've really had the ability to do mass recordings. I'm on cable now and have a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH cable card tuner. Prior to that I was on satellite and generally only could record one channel at a time via a HD-PVR.
I ended up with 350 shows and 4.6tb of space. I was surprised at how often all 6 tuners were going (especially the first 7 days) and there were actually conflicts where I could have used a 7th tuner. Of course 80% of it is stuff I could care less about watching, but that is what made it so great. I could always find something that I was actually interested in watching regardless of what random stuff was playing live at the time.

OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 08-22-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

I think a few 5-20 second clips while testing some sage stuff.... otherwise.. meh..

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Recorded everything on the local NBC channel as that's all I get... and remembered why I stopped using SageTV. About 1/5 of the recordings had missing sections (red timelines). Another 1/4 or so said they recorded fine.. but won't play and can't generate a thumbnail image. I can watch those via VLC on another system, but just get a black screen and no sound on the extenders.

Ended up signing up for Playstation Vue for a 7 day trial to get access to the NBCOlympics app on our Rokus and the wife and daughter have been binge watching swimming, gymnastics, and archery while we have it.

Just don't have time to figure out why SageTV/Prime keep throwing "halt detected" errors or just stops recording in the middle of the show. One time slot records fine, and the next one fails even through they both use the same tuner on the prime.

I only recorded the opening ceremony in HD.. everything else has been SD channels and I still used up about 800 GB of recording space.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
Just don't have time to figure out why SageTV/Prime keep throwing "halt detected" errors or just stops recording in the middle of the show. One time slot records fine, and the next one fails even through they both use the same tuner on the prime.
Have you even posted asking about it?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-22-2016, 11:23 AM
SageTVaholic

I recorded as much as I could. I'm an Olympics junkie. I'm an athlete (in decline at age 53, but that is another story...), and as such I really admire what these competitors can do.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg1 View Post
and remembered why I stopped using SageTV. About 1/5 of the recordings had missing sections (red timelines).
I did see that a couple of times on my recordings, but the full recording actually played fine. I expected playback to stop when it hit that red section in the time line, but to my surprise it kept right on playing. I chalked it up as some random glitch in the feed. But I may look into it further if other people experience it too.

But out of 375 or so recordings since moving to the cable card tuner, i think I've seen it twice.

I'm actually quite happy with the reliability of the system right now. Using the HD-PRV was always hit and miss for me. (It mostly worked, but would flake out once or twice a month causing missed recordings until discovered). I had even resorted to using AT&T DVR for a couple years when we switched to Uverse. I'm happy to be back with sage however.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 08-22-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Recorded zilch. Watched only what I may have been forced to watch while sitting in a restaurant with a TV on and nothing else to look at. Like just about everything else in the world, the games seem to be more about money (or country bragging rights) than unity. (That's not to say there isn't a ton of respect among most of the athletes.)
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Here in Canada we get pretty good coverage as the main channel, CBC, had live coverage from about 8am - 11pm and then there were several other channels also showing the content. We don't do that tape delayed BS that NBC does although major events that happened during the day will be replayed in primetime.

I used Sage to record everything from noon-11 pm and then just picked through what I wanted to watch.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Sage Expert

Excepting NHL games, I don't watch recorded sports broadcasts, so I did not record any Olympic events. That being said, this was probably the most I'd watched of a Summer Games since Seoul in '88. There were three factors that caused this to happen for me. There was a basketball constant channel and also continuous broadcasts on the Live 4K channel on DirecTV. The other factor was the wonderful and comprehensive coverage available on the NBC Sports Android app. NBC's reworking of the app has set the bar for other "mass coverage" sporting events.

I suspect that there will be replays of action and ceremonies aired on DirecTV's regular 4K channel in the coming weeks, since they shot so much stuff. I thought the channel was going to be a complete bomb, since the first week was dominated by judo(!?), but things picked up during the second week.

I watched loads of men's and women's hoops and even some women's golf, though I really was not excited about the idea of golf in the Olympics, or an event on a newly-built course. The highlight of the experience for me was a Brazil v. Argentina men's basketball game that went to double OT. I watched that games almost three times, since they aired games so frequently. So much so, it eliminated the need to record anything ...
Old 08-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

I probably ended up with about 40ish recordings. I made a few favorites that would look at any field for the sports we care about with the category sports in the EPG, e.g., recordings that contained "diving sports."

SageTV worked really well and made the very commercial heavy Olympics fun to watch. After we watched the opening ceremony we wondered how anyone could watch that without comskip.

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 08-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Love the Olympics so CBC all day every day, NBC at night and TSN for equestrian (which I love) and some other sports not covered on the major networks. A lot got deleted as so much of the network coverage repeated itself.

It was interesting to see the numbers of ads from the comskip bar under each recording - NBC definitely the worst offender!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
After we watched the opening ceremony we wondered how anyone could watch that without comskip.
If you thought the opening ceremony had a lot of commercials, you should have seen the closing ceremony...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
... After we watched the opening ceremony we wondered how anyone could watch that without comskip.
That was what was great about the Constant channels: no general advertising. During the breaks in the basketball play they just showed a steady stream of highlights from earlier in the game, crowd shots, and sideline coaching. It was so refreshing to know that a basketball game could be played in an hour and forty minutes ...
Old 08-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Set up a favorite to record the whole thing. Mostly because this way it would auto transcode everything and not use too much space. As someone else noted, we went through and tossed all the events we didn't care about, but the rest, everyone was amazed we could just skip through all the commercials.

Clients: PC Client x 1, HD-300 x 1, AppleTV x 2, WebClient (phone/tablet) x 3
Old 09-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Sage Icon

Wife has "Olympics" as a keyword, recorded everything from local NBC OTA. But also have automatic conversion set to "good quality" mkv, so recordings shrunk significantly. We pretty much skipped through (ffwd2 set to 2 minute jumps) unless it was something we really wanted to watch (wife=gymnastics, both of us =swimming). Anything that was long, we pretty much skipped through and stopped when a score changed to watch the scoring play, or else just watched the very end.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.