SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

View Poll Results: Are you watching/recording the Olympics
Yes - recording it all 9 31.03%
Yes - recording select sport(s) 3 10.34%
No - just watching some live here and there 6 20.69%
No - not watching at all 11 37.93%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 AM
Sage Icon

Are you watching the 2020 (2021) Olympics?

I don't tend to watch a lot of sports (college football being the main exception), but for some reason I really enjoy watching the Olympics. Of course having a SageTV setup is perfect for this IMHO with plenty of harddrive space (although there is never enough with the Olympics) and of course automatic commercial skip. We have a 6 channel cable card tuner so I tend to record everything and then sort it out later.

I also have a two TV setup that is great for sports - the Olympics included. I've even brought in a third TV during previous Olympics, but honestly you can't really keep up with events on three different screens. Two is fine, but three is overkill. I didn't pull out the extra TV this year.

What about everyone else? Do you care about the Olympics?
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 07-26-2021, 11:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Here in Canada the CBC has the main coverage but this is supplemented by another 3-4 channels on sports networks - TSN and RSN of live coverage. In Canada we have always had a tradition of showing things live, unlike NBC in the US.

You can also go to the CBC Olympics app (or website) and watch the host feed of pretty much any sport going on, but there may not be any play-by-play. This was even the case for more obscure sports like archery and fencing.

I have been recording coverage on the main channel which I am watching in the evening, but I haven't gone back to rewatch hours of coverage. I have also recorded the overnight show from midnight to 6am (EDT) but haven't gone back to watch anything.

I usually only watch one thing at a time, but I occasionally watch one thing on the main TV and something else on my iPad.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

I look at the listings and record the "episodes" that include events of interest - primarily gymnastics. I have very little interest in sports in general, and skip through the events that don't interest me (i.e. most of them) to watch just those I want to see. Since most of the coverage isn't live, I wish they'd edit it so that each event is a single block or better yet a single "episode."
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 PM
SageTVaholic

I watch on Peacock choose what I want to watch ... but also record NBC.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:21 AM
Sage Icon

I have found it harder this time than any previous Olympics to keep from seeing the results of what will be televised that evening. In past Olympics I feel like most news sites had an Olympics section with headlines hidden and you could choose to unhide them if you wished, but otherwise they'd be kept a secret. These days with the need for every news outlet to not get scooped on anything, it's flipped. Any website I open, if results aren't in a headline where you can't miss it, they're in some sidebar where you wouldn't expect it until it's too late. And in my 10-minute work commute where I tend to listen to the radio, it seems like no matter what I have on, they're giving results.

Part of that is being 13 hours behind the games... I have an entire half-day to accidentally run across results, even if I don't want to see them. It's easier when the games are only a few hours ahead (western Europe), or obviously when they are in North or South America and are shown live here in the USA.

Because I've had almost every "interesting" event ruined, I just plain haven't bothered to watch. Sage is recording everything from NBC (we are OTA only) because my wife has "Olympics" as a keyword. We have dozens of hours accumulating in our Sage recordings, and have yet to watch a minute. I suspect when it's over she might watch one or two interesting things, I won't watch a second of it, and she'll batch-delete all of it...
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.

Last edited by pjpjpjpj; 08-04-2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:26 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Because I've had almost every "interesting" event ruined, I just plain haven't bothered to watch.
I agree, at least for the bigger events. I watched rock wall climbing yesterday, it was pretty fascinating. I don't think rock wall climbing results make the headlines...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-05-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage Icon

I will say that my viewing of the Olympics varies greatly from day to day. Some days I might watch a lot of the current content while other days I don't care to see any of it.

I think one reason I like the Olympics is because there is such a wide range of sports, and I can flip through want I want to see. I find it hard to sit down and watch a couple hours of a single sport, but with this I see a bunch of different sports during that same time.

I almost never go back and watch material from a day or two ago. It simply isn't compelling to go back to see the opening rounds of a sport when we might have already seen the semi-finals or finals. The one exception is to go back and watch sports that compete on a single day - like climbing or shooting, etc.

In the end I will literally have hundreds of broadcasts recorded with a thousand or more hours of material and will obviously only watch a fraction of it.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 08-05-2021, 07:55 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't know what access you have in the US, but here in Canada we can watch any event at any time - either live or events that are already finished. So there isn't much point in recording tons of hours of the Olympics when you can stream exactly what you want, whenever you want, from the CBC Olympics website or app. Only downside is that the app is not available on some platforms, like Roku.

For example, I can go here https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1920578115746 and watch all 11 hours of the first round of the Mens Golf competition from last Thursday, if I ever wanted to.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
In the end I will literally have hundreds of broadcasts recorded with a thousand or more hours of material and will obviously only watch a fraction of it.
The favorite that I set up captured 596 recordings, totaling 4.4TB of space.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-09-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
That sounds about right. I didn't have as much storage this year as normal (one of my drives failed a while ago and I've never replaced it), so I had to keep deleting older stuff to make room.

I currently have 444 recordings accounting for 3385tb of space, but that is after deleting a lot of the first weeks worth of recordings.

I enjoyed the track and field, swimming, diving, shooting/archery, pentathlon, and climbing sports the best, which after thinking about it are all individual sports. I hardly watched any of the team sports like basketball, soccer, handball, field hockey, etc, etc, etc.
OpenDCT
Old 08-09-2021, 11:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I don't know what access you have in the US, but here in Canada we can watch any event at any time - either live or events that are already finished. So there isn't much point in recording tons of hours of the Olympics when you can stream exactly what you want, whenever you want, from the CBC Olympics website or app. Only downside is that the app is not available on some platforms, like Roku.

For example, I can go here https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1920578115746 and watch all 11 hours of the first round of the Mens Golf competition from last Thursday, if I ever wanted to.
Are CBC making all the events available on replay now that the games are over? That would be the best use of all these streaming services (same for Peacock), as who's got time to check everything out live - there's just too much to follow. But it's hard to get hooked on a new sport (field hockey, handball, etc.) if you can't follow a few games in their entirety.
I wonder why a time-limited version of Cricket isn't in the games...
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-10-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Similarly, about 800 and more than 6TB, kheh.