SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Sage User

What can MVP's do?

I just wanted to ask a few question about the MVP's before I go out and buy one well 4 actually but anyway, so I think im right in saying you can watch live tv off them through your networked HTPC? Are you able to browse the internet from them or is there a plugin?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Extenders (MVPs) provide probably 99% of SageTV functionality on standard TVs (ie LiveTV, recorded TV, scheduling, imported media, etc).

Sage doesn't include internet browsing, so the MVPs don't either.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Sage User

Any way that it could provide internet browsing?

Jack
Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

That's a rather open-ended question. It is theoretically possible I suppose, but I don't see it happenning.

Besides, surfing the internet would be pretty tough on a 720x480i display.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Sage User

Is that the maximum output, what if I wanted to hook it up the HD screen would look crap?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarder View Post
Is that the maximum output, what if I wanted to hook it up the HD screen would look crap?
Yes, the MVP is a 480i device.

How it would look is dependant on your HD screen. Many people complain about viewing 480i content on a 720p or 1080i/p screen. Different HD displays have different scalers in them, so a upscaled 480i picture may look better on one display instead of another. Its up to your eyes whether it is crap or not.

edit: if you are concerned about the MVP being 480i, then you may want to wait for the upcoming HD Extender that Sage is supposed to be releasing soon.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It will look like SD. The UI is rendered very clearly, it's designed to be.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Sage Icon

FWIW i'm outputting an MVP on a 42" HD plasma (720p) and the quality was much better than I expected.
Juc
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

And the latest version of SageTV, combined with the latest version of Java significantly improved the MVP's responsiveness (at least it did for me). It used to be painfully slow between remote button presses, but now, it's nearly as responsive as the client app running on the server.

I haven't yet tried it on our 42" widescreen, but on a 36" SD tube TV, it looks great. (We're using SageMC as the STV.)

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Sage Icon

My MVP looks better full screen on my 50" plasma then the server does thats for sure.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Before buying 4 of these, you might want to consider this. The volume output is much lower than normal line-leve. All my devices (VCR's, DVD recorders, DVD players, etc) output about the same volume. The MediaMVP has a much lower volume. On both my receivers, I hear some buzzing because I have to turn the volume up really high for the MediaMVP. This is not a problem with just my MediaMVP, but for some reason no one ever mentions this.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5 View Post
Before buying 4 of these, you might want to consider this. The volume output is much lower than normal line-leve. All my devices (VCR's, DVD recorders, DVD players, etc) output about the same volume. The MediaMVP has a much lower volume. On both my receivers, I hear some buzzing because I have to turn the volume up really high for the MediaMVP. This is not a problem with just my MediaMVP, but for some reason no one ever mentions this.
I don't have that problem on my MVP. Volume is good. Sure it's not the recordings themselves that have a low volume?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
FWIW, this is the first time I've ever heard of a volume problem with the MVP's. All mine are about the same as any of my other gear (except the X-Meridian sound card) and the family never mentioned it before.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-22-2007, 07:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I have 2 and my parents of have 2 and none of those 4 have any such problem. Sounds like a bum unit to me or is there a problem with your capture device?!?!?! I have noticed that the volume on my MediaMVP in my living room is a touch softer than watching live tv, but hitting volume up twice remedies that (which means there is less than a 10% difference).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 AM
SageTVaholic

I have two MVPs and have never heard of this sound problem either.....

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's not the first time I read about the MVP having a lower volume output as other devices.

I have the same problem, I have to put the TV set volume much higher when playing via MVP (and have the MVP itself at 75%, so I can adjust with the MVP volume when needed), but do not have any buzzing - the sound itself is ok. It's only annoying when switching to standard TV, if I forget to turn down the volume first I wake up the family

The image is on my 16:9 screen of very good quality, but compared to real HD of course less. Consider buying one to test and gain experience with the MVP, and depending on the outcome get others or wait for the HD version.

Jan
Old 05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
SageTVaholic

I guess you also have to consider that the MVP I have came with the digital out which I am using. Meaning the audio isn't going through any pre-amps before being output to my receiver which happily plays back whatever is set to it.

My only dissapointment is that while it will do pass-through for Dolby Digital audio DTS is a no-go. I don't know if that is a limitation with the hardware itself or if that can be fixed in the SageTV MVP client? DTS pass-through is certainly desireable and shouldn't be that difficult to get working.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
On the issue of MVP quality on an HD TV....

First, let me say that the MVP looks absolutely STUNNING on a regular TV.

That said, I have a Viewsonic 27" HD LCD TV in my bedroom and an MVP connected via S-Video. The standard definition shows look BETTER on the MVP than they do coming from the cable box via the same S-Video connection. When the cable box is connected via Component, the SD shows have a slight edge on the cable box...but not enough to make a signicant difference.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Any way that it could provide internet browsing?

Jack
I do that - but not via Sage. With an 800 x 600 TV display (Std Def) you must be very selective about what web sites you try to see. Font sizes and off-screen stuff. Mine's mostly used for browsing webcams in other cities and weather graphics and so on - not text. No keyboard - just pick-a-site menus on the TV. Menus that I make up.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Sage User

MVP uses

One thing to remember is that SageTV isn't the reason that MVP's exist. They were actually designed for another purpose and have been around long enough that people have come up with alternate firmwares (which the MVP loads from the network everytime it cold boots), including SageTV and MVPMC.

- joat