SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm hoping for USB-UIRT (bidirectional) support.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
These ports aren't there for good looks, they either have a planned use or were simply leftover from another design.
That is what I believe also. The OEM board has USB support. It costs almost nothing, say $0.10 in parts, to include it with the manufactured box. It may have cost even more to redesign/tool a box without those ports.

After searching for a HD media extender for serveral years I found they were all very similar, sometimes same chipset, and the real value is in the software. Sage may have been able to use one of the DLink or Linksys HD extenders like they did with the MVP, but they went one better and spec'd out their own.

Thankfully not only is the Sage software awesome but it integrates very well into a complete solution. Just like the MVP but better.

I'm very happy that Sage was able to deliver something others with more resources ($$) have not.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVB View Post
IR receiver, so the actual extender could be put behind a wallmounted plasma itself and be totally hidden. Don't need USB for that, but consider this a feature request
Would be excellent ! Second vote.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

On the Box...

If you look at the box the Extender came in.. it says..

"USB 2.0 Mass Storage Interface"

So... my guess is that they might be thinking of some type of NAS.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Sage Icon

Display... like an LCD panel... then you could play music, schedule shows without turning on your display.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst View Post
I'm hoping for USB-UIRT (bidirectional) support.
This would rock. And solve my remote control issue.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwolf View Post
This would rock. And solve my remote control issue.
I guess I'm not understanding why there would be a need for this.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
I guess I'm not understanding why there would be a need for this.
Flexibility to control other devices for those of us used to running EventGhost with a USB-UIRT. I was happy with how my PC clients were set up with a Firefly that had a macro to turn on the power on my TV, Receiver, and bring SageTV out of standby all at once. Now I have to go back to the Harmony, which is ok, but I had two Firefly remotes in each room (one for me and one for the wife) and I had it set up to do all that without her having to think. Lord knows if her thinking involves a piece of electronic equipment when all she wants do to is "just watch TV", the crap hits the fan.

I can't quite afford to put two Harmony 890's in each room. I'm looking at other less expensive remotes right now, but haven't decided what to do. To further complicate the situation, the power and volume buttons on the HD-100 remote (and the Hauppage remote) are the same as the volume and power Ir codes as my two Dell TVs, which is annoying.

I guess the only reason I say USB-UIRT support is because the HD-100 does not have an Ir blaster. That would rock just as much but there's no plug in for it. I got so excited the HD-100's were back in stock I did not realize their remote was not universal.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 PM
SageTVaholic

The only thing I have to really say about that is that everyone has their special needs. I believe that devices should be as single use as possible. Making them multiple use complicates things and the more complicated you make something the more prone to failure it becomes. Plus it also raises the cost.

The HD100 doesn't need to be more complicated. Certainly for some people it would be nice if it would do this thing or that thing. But in the end it doesn't really add value for the majority of people. There are other solutions that produce the same result. In this case a programmable remote like the Harmony. This keeps the device itself as simple as possible while making it marketable to the largest audience possible. Why add features that only a small percentage of customers are going to use when all it's really going to do is raise the cost of manufacturing which in turn raises the cost for the customer?

Maybe someone can hack it to get the USB ports working but I personally see no need for them. They are a vestigial leftover from whatever device the HD100 was derived from. And it's possible the original device had no use for them either. The HD100 works well enough for me as it is. I have no need to further complicate things.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
The only thing I have to really say about that is that everyone has their special needs. I believe that devices should be as single use as possible. Making them multiple use complicates things and the more complicated you make something the more prone to failure it becomes. Plus it also raises the cost.

The HD100 doesn't need to be more complicated. Certainly for some people it would be nice if it would do this thing or that thing. But in the end it doesn't really add value for the majority of people. There are other solutions that produce the same result. In this case a programmable remote like the Harmony. This keeps the device itself as simple as possible while making it marketable to the largest audience possible. Why add features that only a small percentage of customers are going to use when all it's really going to do is raise the cost of manufacturing which in turn raises the cost for the customer?

Maybe someone can hack it to get the USB ports working but I personally see no need for them. They are a vestigial leftover from whatever device the HD100 was derived from. And it's possible the original device had no use for them either. The HD100 works well enough for me as it is. I have no need to further complicate things.

Then it sounds like if they do something with the USB ports, you shouldn't need the feature and you simply won't use them. As far as the "cost of manufacturing", I wouldn't see anything required for this (or whatever is possible for the USB ports) beyond a firmware upgrade, so it should not raise the cost of anything unless one chooses to purchase a peripheral that might be used for it. Now, if they were to include a Ir blaster, this would change the unit's manufacturing. As mentioned, I don't really want to spend money on several Harmony remotes if I don't have to. Other people have their own reasons for features they would like to see.

None of us know if this stuff is even possible, we're just dreaming. Someone asked the question and a few of us had some ideas. It's that simple. Not to mention that more than one person has thought about this.

Last edited by mrwolf; 03-05-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Sage Icon

The coolest use for the usb ports would be one of these.

John
Old 03-06-2008, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post

John
I haven't checked, but just because the USB doesn't do anything, doesn't mean they don't have power....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

The USB ports both have power... I tried plugging in a USB fan and was instantly enjoying a nice cool breeze...
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Powered USBs open a whole bunch of possiblities:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/usb/?cpg=nbi

A snowman for the holidays.
A lava lamp for chillin'.
A flexlamp for when you're trying to see where a cable needs to connect.
A humping dog for when you need to teach your kids about the birds and the bees.

Mitch
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

I currently charge my phone on the usb ports at night
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Changed my mind, this is the coolest thing.

john
Old 03-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Changed my mind, this is the coolest thing.

john
I'll need a couple more HD extenders to keep a six pack of beer cold.

-Robert