SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Speed up SageTV's startup

There is a new FAQ about how to speed up SageTV's startup process, so it opens quicker. See:
SageTV is taking a long time to start. Is there a way to make its startup process go faster?

Normally, I wouldn't make a new thread just to say there is a new FAQ, but I figured there may be some discussion about people's results after trying this.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Sage Expert

Andy,

That works really really well. I don't use IR, so that isn't an issue for me.

Startup of the SageTV service is now within seconds. Nice work!

-Peter
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Sage Icon

I think this should be a default settings since IR can always wait a few seconds later.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Sage Icon

I was just going to start looking at this problem - my wiz.bin has exploded recently from 34mb in november to nearly 70mb currently. (probably because I expanded my tv storage space from about 300gb to 1tb. )

Startup was becoming a chore - I'll take a look at this and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting this!

Last edited by Crashless; 03-21-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: win.biz->wiz.bin same difference
Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Sage Icon

Running in Service mode

Set to false = startup 116 secs to usable GUI

Set to true = startup 86 secs to usable GUI

Not quite sure what I'll do with all these accumulating 30 secs. If I restart SageTV enough, I'll have enough extra time to watch something.

John

Last edited by JREkiwi; 03-21-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Sage Icon

Set to false = startup about 5-6 minute to usable GUI

Set to true = startup about 90 secs to usable GUI
about 55 minutes till IR recordings started showing up
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

I usually time mine based on the listed CPU Time in Task Manager when I can access the web plugin. When set to 'true' the delay dropped from just over 2min down to 30sec . Set to 'false' Sage service would run 98+% for a full 2min during startup. After having typed this and waited for the HD100 to restart the CPU Time is still under a minute and using less than 20% CPU.

for Andy on this tip.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemicuda View Post
for Andy on this tip.
I'm glad it is working well, but I simply posted the info that SageTV asked me to pass along.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

By setting limited_carny_init=true, I can report going from 95 second startup to 44 seconds, on an old slow computer with about 3 to 4 years accumulation, but no IR.

By the way, I noticed disable_carny_init=false, is there any info on what that might do, if set to true? I do not use Intelligent Recordings.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Sage Expert

I think this may only help if you don't use SageService. At least on my fresh install startup takes a lot less time with the service running--it's so short it wouldn't really matter if it was speeded up.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I think this may only help if you don't use SageService. At least on my fresh install startup takes a lot less time with the service running--it's so short it wouldn't really matter if it was speeded up.
Yes. its not that bad on a fresh install. The problem comes like six months down the line, then the old way you would basically sit at the windows 'welcome' screen for a few minutes while the service loads the DB. Anyhow, this option was just what I needed, especially since I didn't use intelligent recordings anyways. I kind of dreaded weekly reboots and that will make it a lot easier to bear.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage was taking quite a while to start, this cut my 100 sec startup to about 60 secs!! Thanks!!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
SageTVaholic

I avoid this issue by never turning off my Sage server unless absolutely necessary. (I'd estimate that I reboot about once a month.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryokurin View Post
Yes. its not that bad on a fresh install. The problem comes like six months down the line, then the old way you would basically sit at the windows 'welcome' screen for a few minutes while the service loads the DB. Anyhow, this option was just what I needed, especially since I didn't use intelligent recordings anyways. I kind of dreaded weekly reboots and that will make it a lot easier to bear.

But I guess what I'm not clear on is this: Does it affect the startup time of SageService at all? On my new computer with the lastest version of Sage, the service seems to take a lot longer to start. Is that due to this or some other factor.

I think that's why I was noticing SageTV taking so long to start--I didn't have SageService running.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

This affects the core startup of the server, whether you are using service mode or not. It affects whatever you are starting as the server's recording engine and does not affect a client.

When using service mode, the UI starts as a client & this setting will have no affect on the UI's startup in that case.

- Andy
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
It affects whatever you are starting as the server's recording engine and does not affect a client.
Sorry I don't understand. So does that mean it does affect the startup time of SageService, if that's what you're using?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
So does that mean it does affect the startup time of SageService, if that's what you're using?
Yes, that was what I was trying to say above. It affects whatever you are using that handles the recording schedule & related tasks -- in service mode, that is the service; in non-service mode, that is the UI on the SageTV server.

- Andy
Old 03-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Sage Expert

Okay, thanks--that means I should make the change.

I tried to make it earlier but opening the file in Notepad I had an issue saving it that seems to be related to Vista on that computer (not a Sage issue).
Old 04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Sage User

Just some feedback:

I made this change last month and while startup time improved, I've slowly seen SageTV performance decreasing. It started with stuttering during HD playback, then slow menu performance, and finally stuttering SD playback. CPU loads were constantly in the 90% range whereas normally I rarely see above 30%.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this setting is what caused the problem but immediately after setting the value back to "false", performance went back to normal and has been that way since. YMMV
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Well if you wanted to see an endorsement for the improvement:

limited_carny_init=false - 10 minutes for profiler to initialize
limited_carny_init=true - 36 seconds to have a system

That's almost a 20x reduction in startup time.