SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

720p - 1080p no audio on extender but audio on theater pc

I've been having two issues with downloaded 720p and 1080p content on my HD 200.

1. Sometimes .mkv videos dont have any sound. They will say either dts or dd5.1 in the detailed info and they will play with sound through my laptop using the client or placeshifter, on the theater pc i run the sagetv server on, but they will have no audio when they play through the HD200. I've noticed that it's usually .mkv files that do this. Usually .wmv files dont have a problem. I'm using my audio through the HDMI cable and I have tried both sound options in the setup menu of the HD200.

2. Certain 1080p .mkv files show up as something like 7minute and 29second files regardless of how long they are. This problem occurs on the HD200, and on the client, and on the placeshifter. It occurs on my laptop, on my theater PC, and on my HD200. If i use windows media player or VLC media player, they play at the correct movie length (not 7M 29S). Why would sage see certain 1080p MKV files as being 7M 29S when they are 40 minutes or 2 hours?

Is this a problem with sage tv and mkv files or do i need to get some type of mkv repair tool?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

HD200 only supports dts as pass thru. You would need to connect a dts receiver/amp to get the audio. SPDIF or HDMI should work for the connection to your receiver.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hmmmm, is that hardware or firmware related?

Is that something you could add on as a module yourself? Or is it a licensing thing or something?

Will it ever support DTS (downmixing to two channels)?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Sage Advanced User

Oh yeah, and what about:

------------------------------------------------------------
2. Certain 1080p .mkv files show up as something like 7minute and 29second files regardless of how long they are. This problem occurs on the HD200, and on the client, and on the placeshifter. It occurs on my laptop, on my theater PC, and on my HD200. If i use windows media player or VLC media player, they play at the correct movie length (not 7M 29S). Why would sage see certain 1080p MKV files as being 7M 29S when they are 40 minutes or 2 hours?

Is this a problem with sage tv and mkv files or do i need to get some type of mkv repair tool?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 AM
SageTVaholic

I think its partially a DTS licensing issue. They could work around it by forcing transcoding to the HD200 (since ffmpeg DOES support DTS), but until they implement some sort of selective transcoding system, this would require always transcoding EVERYTHING (video AND audio).

Your best bet in the interrim, is to add an AC3 or Stereo audio track to the MKV files with EAC3TO.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
Oh yeah, and what about:

You may be able to run them through a re-mux process. Basically, you can load them up in a MKV muxer (like MKVToolNix), and simply re-output them as a new MKV file. This will usually fix incorrect timeline problems.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
You may be able to run them through a re-mux process. Basically, you can load them up in a MKV muxer (like MKVToolNix), and simply re-output them as a new MKV file. This will usually fix incorrect timeline problems.
Thanks for the very helpful replies. I'll check out both of those tools. I think they are exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm trying to work on getting a .dpc file written in DVRMS Toolbox to take a DTS encoded MKV, rip out the DTS, reencode it to AC3 and add it to the original file. That way with the one file, you can change audio tracks depending on if you are watching it on a extender hooked to a TV with a DTS capable receiver attached or if you are watching it on a TV without DTS capabilities.

Would anybody else find a use for this? I haven't been a big fan of the other solutions and this one could be a bit more automated. It started by taking Ben Drawbaugh's DTB method to replace DTS with AC3 and modifying it. Unfortunately, my DTB process writing sucks, so it's slow going. I'll keep you posted.
Twitter: ohpleaseno

Last edited by ohpleaseno; 10-23-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Sage User

Well, I can confirm that Ben Drawbaugh's method that you linked to does work, although it takes some experimenting and guesswork to figure out exactly how to do it. What do you mean by making it a bit more automated?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Sage User

You might also want to try the tool PopCorn MKV AudioConverter
Code:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=20887
I processed a file with the tools on Ben Drawbaugh's site, but the resulting file only had the AC3 file, not both files.

PopCorn MKV AudioConverter uses other free tools to demux the file, convert the DTS to AC3, and then remux back into a MKV container, with the AC3 file first. That way when you play it, it will play with sound on all devices, if you want to switch to DTS you will need to use the audio selector to pick the other audio track.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ben helped me tweak his DVRMS Toolbox process to do the AC3 addition to an MKV with DTS. It will add the AC3 track to the MKV.

Use at your own risk. You will need to follow these instructions from Ben's site (Relevant info quoted below)

"To use it you’ll need to download eac3to and MKVtoolnix (both free). First extract the eac3to archive to “C:\Program Files\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\eac3to” and install MKVtoolnix with the isntall path of “C:\Program Files\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\MKVtoolnix\”

Also, you’ll have to copy the “Add AC3 track to a MKV with DTS.dpc” (zipped and attached) to “C:\Program Files\DVRMSToolbox\Profiles”

It seems to have problems reading from a shared drive, so buyer beware. I would strongly recommend only using it to work on a copy of a file. I lost a few files because I didn't set up input/output correctly. I'm not the most advanced user of DTB, so if any of you have more experience writing .dpc files, then by all means see if you can improve the process. Otherwise, it works great.

Jason
Attached Files
File Type: zip Add AC3 track to a MKV with DTS.zip (1,012 Bytes, 255 views)
Twitter: ohpleaseno