SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Placeshifter
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Placeshifter Discussion related to the SageTV Placeshifter application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Placeshifter software application should be posted here.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Sage User

Unable to establish a connection

Hello all,

I purchases placeshifter specifically for the business trip I am currently on. I am unable to establish a connection though.

When I go to configure placeshifter on the SageTV server the UPnP settings are successful, and I can see them in my router's configuration. But no matter what settings I do, I am unable to connect from the "outside world". I've tried with both the Locator Server, and just putting in my WAN IP address and neither works.

When I was at home, I could point it to the SageTV server's internal IP address no problem, but I've had no luck with the external facing interface on my router. I tried contacting my ISP, but they were less than helpful, so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure the issue out.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: FYI, other services such as LogMeIn work like a champ.

Last edited by Emsdad; 11-07-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Sage Expert

I've always had nothing but trouble relying on UPnP. Take it out of the mix and manually set your router to forward port 31099 to your Sage box and I bet it'll work

LogMeIn and it's ilk has a service that runs locally and pokes a hole in your firewall from the inside.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the advice, I probably should have mentioned that I've already tried manually configuring the port forwarding on my router and still had no luck. When I go to get my WAN IP and try to connect directly it can't do that either.

Also, when I test the connection from the SageTV detailed settings configuration, it says that it can not detect the IP that is associated with the Locator ID...it doesn't say the same thing that I've seen other people here get, which is something along the lines of being able to connect to the IP but not the PlaceShifter service...it's seems like I'm having trouble with my ISP, but their customer service was just straight dumb when I tried to get help from them.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Sage Expert

Can't believe I didn't think of this before
If there is a software firewall on your Sage box it may be allowing traffic from the inside network and blocking traffic from the outside network. Try disabling the firewall and connecting. If it works it's the software firewall. If not see below

Sounds like your port forwarding configuration is wrong, your router is not working correctly (unlikely), or your ISP is blocking the traffic for some reason or another. The port number is already waaay high and is very non-standard (ssh, telnet, smtp, etc) so I don't know why they would block it, but they may be. The complicated test is to disconnect your router from your cable/dsl modem, log into on an internal interface and the wan connection to a static IP (192.168.15.1 as example), set a nic on another machine to a static IP (192.168.15.2 as example) and connect it to the wan port on the router. Try to connect to the server using the IP of the wan interface of the rotuer (192.168.15.1). If it works your ISP is filtering the traffic. If not you have a config problem.

If you are still on your trip and have remote access, you may be able to do the 1st test. That 2nd one requires local connectivity though
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply. I already tried your first suggestion unfortunately. I use Comodo internet security as my software security solution, and shut it down for the purpose of my testing.

I'm still on my trip, so I can't test out your second suggestion, although it is very good, so I'll do it when I get home this weekend.

It's probably for the better that I can't use the placeshifter anyway...I have way too much studying to do anyway.

Thanks for the help, and I'll update the thread when I find out more...if anyone else has an idea let me know! Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Sage User

Ok, all better! I called my girlfriend and walked her through resetting the router and cable modem, and now all is well as far as establishing a connection!

Now my problem is that I get a message stating placeshifter can't establish the overlay. I don't have any other application using it (as far as I know) and when I enable 3D acceleration like the error suggests, the connection crashes.

Another puzzle yeah!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Sage Expert

Make sure you have the latest version of Java installed. Could also be video driver related. Could try upgrading to latest version or rolling back to an earlier version if you have latest version installed. Not sure why it would have worked fine on the internal network then throw an overlay error when you connect externally unless it is on a different machine or something has changed....

BOOOOO for studying, I have too much of that these days too.