SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Windows V7 to V9 update hangs

I am having problems installing V9 over V7. Installation completes successfully and Sage loads, but when I try to view a live program or a recording, the UI hangs. Other functions seem to work fine.

I've snipped the program guide info out of the log file below to make it small enough to upload.

The lines showing it hanging are at the bottom and it hangs until I stop the process with Task Manager.

Any help will be appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0 snipped.txt (468.9 KB, 171 views)
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist

Last edited by hb4; 03-09-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: looking for help
Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

bump ^^^^^^^ with new log file.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 AM
SageTVaholic

Is it only live tv that freezes, or does trying to watch recorded tv also freeze? I see you are also set to use the Overlay renderer, which is certainly not ideal - You should probably use EVR if available (not sure if that's the problem, but overlay's a pretty outdated method).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Both live and recorded fail. I'll check the renderer and see what happens. I assume I can change that on V7 and then install over that - just to test it out.

<<< I've had a couple glitches in this process; the first time MSI failed to load so I updated W7. I got the MSI fail again later, but re-did the V9 install again and it took. The last time, as I was re-installing V7, I got a rootkit notice from Avast, which devolved to a repair boot screen that never stopped. Thought the system was hosed. Finally shut down and re-booted and everything came up normally. >>>

Are there any other error logs that I can engage/provide to shed a little more light on the issue?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

Here are the logs from an attempt to record, and an attempt to view live TV on V9. I've changed to the EVR renderer.

This time, when I set up for the V9 install, I moved wiz.bin and sage.properties to the target directory rather than installing over the V7 directory. The behavior was different; Sage did not hang this time; it simply displayed a silent, dark screen and I was able to back out and exit gracefully.

Remove ".txt" and unzip.

Below that is a snapshot of an audio error from the SageTV screen, a snapshot of the Java environment, and the client log which shows both the audio and video errors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (26.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (22.7 KB, 188 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0_play_recording.zip.txt (195.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: txt sagetv_0_live_TV.zip.txt (227.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: txt sagetvclient_0.txt (309.3 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by hb4; 03-11-2017 at 01:16 AM. Reason: More info
Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
Here are the logs from an attempt to record, and an attempt to view live TV on V9. I've changed to the EVR renderer.

This time, when I set up for the V9 install, I moved wiz.bin and sage.properties to the target directory rather than installing over the V7 directory. The behavior was different; Sage did not hang this time; it simply displayed a silent, dark screen and I was able to back out and exit gracefully.

Remove ".txt" and unzip.

Below that is a snapshot of an audio error from the SageTV screen, a snapshot of the Java environment, and the client log which shows both the audio and video errors
Play is causes by no codec you need get LAV filter that will help
It seem that you have jetty plugin install I do believe it has been said min time here on the forum that it dose not work under v9.
I hope you made a backup of your old wiz.bin and Sage.properties before the upgrade or even made a full folder copy before the upgrade ?.

That best thing do is start with clean new install of ver 9.
I think you need OpenDCT for your HDHomeRun device
Install LAV Filters
Get ever thing going once that done shut down SageTV then copy over your old wiz.bin from ver 7 it may take some time covert update

Last edited by SHS; 03-11-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage Icon

You should check to see what codec you have selected. Windows 7 included the Microsoft codec, which was very good and many people used for both MPEG2 and h.264 playback, but Windows 10 removed it.

MPEG codecs are not free to use and software produced in the US needs to pay a royalty for every copy installed. There seems to be some loopholes for software produced in certain foreign countries, which is why it is still possible to get free software that includes MPEG decoders.

Sage 7 included the Sage codec, but Sage 9 does not because of Open source rules and the royalty issue. However, if you install over the top of Sage 7 in the same location, you can keep the Sage codec. The Sage codec handled MPEG2 playback, but I don't think it handled h.264 playback.

So make sure you have a valid codec selected in Sage for the types of recordings you are trying to play. If you don't have the correct codecs available on your computer, download and install LAV. Then go back into the Sage settings and select the LAV filters.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Some comments, questions....
  • I am using OpenDCT
  • I make copies of the Sage folders each time I do a V9 install attempt.
  • Post 1 show the results of an over the top V9 install. Since the Mpeg codec are preserved, I assume there's something else in the V7 folder that's making the record and playback freeze.
  • Based on the comments (thanks SHS and Tiki!) I'll try again using the steps below.....
  1. Uninstall V7
  2. Install Lav Filters
  3. Rename the "SageTV" folder
  4. Create a new "SageTV" folder
  5. Move over the 'activkey' file to the new SageTV folder
  6. Install V9, start, then close down.
  7. Move over Wiz.bin and Sage.Properties to the new SaveTV folder
  8. Start V9 again
  9. Select LAV filters
  10. Try recording and playback again
  11. If good, re-install plugins (not Jetty Server, tho!).
Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
  1. Uninstall V7
  2. Install Lav Filters
  8. Start V9 again
  9. Select LAV filters
Well, that didn't work - The wiz.bin and sage.properties apparently weren't picked up after Step 8, since the wizard ran again and the recording directories weren't re-established. Trying again with those two files present before V9 install in an otherwise clean SageTV directory.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Well, that didn't work - The wiz.bin and sage.properties apparently weren't picked up after Step 8, since the wizard ran again and the recording directories weren't re-established. Trying again with those two files present before V9 install in an otherwise clean SageTV directory.
It should have picked them up if you copied them over the existing files. To be sure though while it is shut down I'd move all the sage.properties (backups, and V9 makes a copy with the version it is installed over in the filename). As well as all the wiz.* Then copy in your files. Oh, don't remove the default properties files. I think that is what V9 will use as a blueprint to put in anything that is missing in whichever .properties file it finds.

Be ready for it to chunk away a LONG, LONG time converting it over if your sage.properties was as bloated as mine from SageTV V7. Also my Wiz.bin has been running since way back in v4. It took over 10 minutes before v9 was ready for discovery on the network on my Core i5 Win8.1 machine and probably almost 20 minutes on my Core2Quad WHS V1 machine.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can report success! Mostly. My process was:
  • Uninstall unsuccessful V9
  • Install Lav Filters
  • Rename the unsuccessful "SageTV" folder
  • Create a new "SageTV" folder
  • Move over the 'activkey', wiz.bin, and sage.properties to the new SageTV folder
  • Install V9 (here, I had some glitches; one install reported a rootkit on SageTVServiceControl.exe and another reported unable to load MSI. The third try went through)
  • Start V9 (on Server with SageService stopped)
  • Select LAV Decoder for MPEG2 Audio and Video Decoder Filter
  • -Fail here; then went back and set Video Renderer to EVR (Thanks, Fuzzy)
  • SUCCESS!
  • Exited V9 on Server, started SageService
  • Fired up HD200 and all was well
  • Went back to Server and started V9 (with SageService running) and it came with the Wizard as if a new install.
  • Exited V9 on Server and stopped SageService
  • Started V9 again and it came up with the Recordings Screen (per plugin) with all recordings shown.

Why does the Server Version of V9 come up as a brand new environment when SageService is running but as my previous V7 environment when SageService is stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
It should have picked them up if you copied them over the existing files. To be sure though while it is shut down I'd move all the sage.properties (backups, and V9 makes a copy with the version it is installed over in the filename). Where should I move them? As well as all the wiz.* Then copy in your files.Don't understand the 'move' then 'copy' instructions. Move to a temp file and copy from there? Oh, don't remove the default properties files.i.e, only remove or copy over sage.properties and leave the rest remaining in the V9 folder? I think that is what V9 will use as a blueprint to put in anything that is missing in whichever .properties file it finds.

Be ready for it to chunk away a LONG, LONG time converting it over if your sage.properties was as bloated as mine from SageTV V7. Also my Wiz.bin has been running since way back in v4. It took over 10 minutes before v9 was ready for discovery on the network on my Core i5 Win8.1 machine and probably almost 20 minutes on my Core2Quad WHS V1 machine.
Didn't take long at all for me. sage.properties = 340K, wiz.bin = 24Mb.

Last edited by hb4; 03-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Why does the Server Version of V9 come up as a brand new environment when SageService is running but as my previous V7 environment when SageService is stopped?
When running service mode, the UI on the server gets its settings from SageClient.properties.

When running without service mode, the UI settings are stored in Sage.properties.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Isn't the Jetty server required for the web interface? I don't want to lose that when I update to v9.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks, wnjj.

I stopped the service and moved sage.client.properties from V7 to the active V9 directory and all is well. I think I'm good for now; thanks all for the help.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Didn't take long at all for me. sage.properties = 340K, wiz.bin = 24Mb.
Mine are 435k for sage.properties, and just shy of 65mb for wiz.bin. See, I told you the wiz.bin has been being used about as long as I've been using SageTV.
And that time was for it to be able to be seen by my HD300 (as well as other computers on the network via the webserver) on the network. I am not talking about running the program on the machine and seeing when the SageTV interface pops up on the machine. I almost never run Sagetv.exe on the computer, just the service.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it straightened out and working properly.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCRUser View Post
Isn't the Jetty server required for the web interface? I don't want to lose that when I update to v9.
Yes, Jetty is what hosts the SageTV Web Interface. There's no reason you can't continue to use it in v9. Just install the SageTV Web Interface 3.1 plugin on your server, and it will take care of installing the Jetty plugin and the other required plugins as well.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-14-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
  • I am using OpenDCT
  • I make copies of the Sage folders each time I do a V9 install attempt.
  • Post 1 show the results of an over the top V9 install. Since the Mpeg codec are preserved, I assume there's something else in the V7 folder that's making the record and playback freeze.
  • Based on the comments (thanks SHS and Tiki!) I'll try again using the steps below.....
  1. Uninstall V7
  2. Install Lav Filters
  8. Start V9 again
  9. Select LAV filters
Uninstall V7
  1. Install Lav Filters
  2. Sign up Schedules Direct EPG service as the Stock Build in EPG Service will be Shutdown 7/1/2017.
  3. Install V9
  4. Install OpenDCT
  5. And yes may need to Select Default or the LAV filters for playback to work
  6. Setup everything up all your capture device and be sure everything is work before close down.
  7. Copy over just the Wiz.bin not the Sage.Properties to the SageTV folder over writing the old bin file
  8. Start V9 again
  9. Try recording and playback again
That way you clean out any old left over.
The only thing I carry over from the old Sage.Properties is my uptime and delay wait timing because of may HD analog tuner

Last edited by SHS; 03-14-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Uninstall V7
  1. Install Lav Filters
  2. Sign up Schedules Direct EPG service as the Stock Build in EPG Service will be Shutdown 7/1/2017.
  3. Install V9
  4. Install OpenDCT
  5. And yes may need to Select Default or the LAV filters for playback to work
  6. Setup everything up all your capture device and be sure everything is work before close down.
  7. Copy over just the Wiz.bin not the Sage.Properties to the SageTV folder over writing the old bin file
  8. Start V9 again
  9. Try recording and playback again
That way you clean out any old left over.
The only thing I carry over from the old Sage.Properties is my uptime and delay wait timing because of may HD analog tuner
That makes sense.... I wondered what all those tuners were doing in sage.properties.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
That makes sense.... I wondered what all those tuners were doing in sage.properties.
You should also see a big boost in load time by going this way I did
I use see 1 hour+ of load time now it a few minutes on my server